Dell to choose Ubuntu

spinynorman

You can see what they have here: http://www.dell.com/open

Pricing is pretty good, specs aren't half bad. You can purchase up to a year of support if you want.

Pretty good but not exactly in line with the savings...

The XPS 410 is $850 with Linux and $900 with Vista and a 12 month McAfee subscription etc.

I realise Dell get big discounts but $50 seems a little on the light side?

So my interpretation is its presented as an "extra" option while still trying to sell most people Vista...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this but I think there is value in calling it what it is.

However, all that said its still a great positive step for Linux and Dell customers.

Hmmm, for US$50 I would buy the Vista license and then install linux myself....

... and continue support M$'s claim that Vista proudly runs on 99.9% of desktops, because my desktop does not count as a non-Vista one!

Edit: and of course in the end of financial year Dell will figure out (for the second time!) that their Linux initiative is not viable, as customers showed little interest in purchasing Linux systems.

Edited by coverup

... and continue support M$'s claim that Vista proudly runs on 99.9% of desktops, because my desktop does not count as a non-Vista one!

Edit: and of course in the end of financial year Dell will figure out (for the second time!) that their Linux initiative is not viable, as customers showed little interest in purchasing Linux systems.

maybe, maybe not.

From the media, it seems like it was decision spearheaded by Michael Dell himself, and the fact he claims that he actually uses ubuntu on one of his computers might offer some future to it. That implies some sort of vested interest, so even if initially it's not financially profitable, we could well see ubuntu around on them for a while.

James

I read somewhere (sorry but cannot remember where) that the reason for the small saving for not including Windows on a pc was due to the money other software companies pay Dell to include their products on Dell machines as trial software (that and the bulk purchase discount they get for Windows). He reckoned that not including Windows would actually increase the cost to Dell of each machine, someone offered to pay $100 dollars extra to not install Windows to which he replied "sold!".

The last part may well be apocryphal though.

Leo

I dont use linux to destroy ms, us$50 for a full os is a very good price...

Neither do I. But on a larger scale, if hardware manufacturers will see no/little revenue form non-windows systems, what would be an incentive for them to develop drivers for linux? To make my point, you may remember that many laptop users had a lot of trouble with winmodems. With the invent of broadband internet, the problem has gone away for the majority of home users, but was it resolved?

I priced a similar laptop to what I just bought. Mine was only 80 bucks more for a Latitude. The monitor and HD are slightly smaller on mine, but otherwise identical. I got the MS XP Home and am kinda glad. I would've had to come by a license somewhere since I have to use MS stuff for reports and such to some groups who still require Office (and not always does ooo work perfectly). I installed the Linux distro which I prefer and got the more structurally rigid lappy. I wasn't blown away by the cost decrease.

I wasn't blown away by the cost decrease.
You're not going to be. The price difference is basically the price Dell is paying for the OEM version of Windows they put on the machines. Pretty much what one would expect. The cost of the parts and the labor to put the box together doesn't change because of the OS ;)