Mandriva Star in Kicker bar [solved]

fahd

No, I prefer when it's all green. And maybe You didn't notice, but I used the original mdv_kmenu.png file, not the one linked above by Greg2, because of the white line on the bottom, and because on the right side it has a white triangle. On the original one this triangle is transparent.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey, I'm new to linux, trying to find the panel so I can make it black like you guys did. I found a file called mandriva-panel.png, is that the one I want to change?

Also, how do I switch between the small kmenu (just the star in your pics) and the wider one that says "menu" on it?

And finally, just for kicks: if I wanted to make it look similar to this: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=att...ost&id=3233 but have the star glow blue when you hover, how would I go about that?

*edit*

I found the option to switch the panel color right after I posted. However, it didn't gel well with some of the other stuff on the bar. So now I want to know how to change the fonts and highlight color of minimized windows, and how to get rid of the little gray line that shows up when I mouseover a section on the panel.

*edit again*

Apparently the things I'm trying to fix the color of are called applet handles. I can disable them, but I'd rather just change the color so it fits better. Also, found the way to fix the clock but still need help with those minimized windows.

Edited by Just John

Well I think I've figured out how to change everything I want, except that it says I don't have permission to edit the files. My questions still apply:

1. Changing the panel color didn't gel well with some of the other stuff on the bar. So now I want to know how to change the fonts and highlight color of minimized windows, and how to get rid of the little gray line that shows up when I mouseover a section on the panel. I can just disable applet handles entirely, but that's inconvenient. There should be a way to change the color of the gray part.

2. How can I get it to let me edit the image files? I have a feeling I need to log in as root somehow, but if I su in konsole it doesn't help and I'm such a noob that I don't know anything else to try.

3. And just for kicks: if I wanted to make it look similar to this: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=att...ost&id=3233 but have the star glow blue when you hover, how would I go about that?

Edited by Just John

There's also an openasroot-kmenu package in the repos. It adds open, edit, and run as root actions to your Konqueror > right-click > actions menu.

I would suggest that you make backups (copies) of any files before you edit them, at least until you're more familiar with Linux. This way you can fix anything you accidentally screw up. :)

Alright cool. Running Konqueror in root let me see all the directories that I wanted; didn't get a chance to try editing image files but I assume it will work.

As for the other thing, I'm still running off live CDs specifically so I can't screw anything up. Probably going to actually install this week though.