CD's boot, DVD doesn't

Guest Ferg

The Mandriva 2007.1 DVD boots and installs wonderfully on two of the computers I use, but does not boot on the third, although CD's do.

Why is this, please?

(The machine is an older IBM NetVista, could it be an old BIOS?)

Guest mango

I have a slightly different problem: Install from the DVD (free version) fails, but install from the

Live CD is successful. The DVD install proceeds for about 15-20 minutes and then gets an error

about the device not being mounted or some such.

-- I switched out the DVD drive to a different one but got the same problem, so I know the drive is

not the issue (one was a Liteon and the other an LG).

-- The downloaded ISO file is checksum verified, so the file is ok.

-- I also know it is not some hardware incompatibility with the kernel since the install went fine

from the CD (the system is a 4-year old board with AMD 1.2GHz CPU, a couple of IDE drives

and 512MB RAM.

I'm now able to add sources and packages from the net, but I'm wondering if there is any fundamental difference between the CD andfree DVD. I'd also like to find out what is wrong with the DVD.

How do I checksum the actual DVD that I burned ?

Thanks for any help.

Guest Ferg
Does it have a dvd reader or only a cd reader?

Thanks for replying.

It is an AOpen DUW1608/ARR 16x DVD+/- R/RW. I know it SHOULD read DVD's because one of my successful installs had the same make and model of drive. I suppose I could dl and burn the CD's, but I was hoping there was some kind of setting I could toggle that would just get it to boot from the DVD.

(%) small light bulb just came on :-) I remember the drive booting from a DVD years ago, back when I installed NWN, so I guess that particular drive doesn't like this particular DVD.

g'night, all.

How do I checksum the actual DVD that I burned ?

Thanks for any help.

Hi mango,

welcome to the board!

I found the easiest way to md5check DVD images is in using k3b for iso files and use the verify option in order to check the data after the burning process. The md5sum will be displayed. So you can compare the md5 output of the verified data to the md5sum of the source iso at a glance (or maybe two).

Ferg

sometimes old players are funny

maybe try another brand of dvd burnt at lower speed

(if you are using a 16x or 8x branded dvd, I think it

is worth trying a 2x or 4x branded dvd)

Yes...i have been trouble with burning speeds,if too high the data written could not be perceptible to old dvd readers....happened to me...in fact most modern media(dvds) could not be read at all in some dvd readers....

It worth give it a try burning at lower speeds.

Cheers.....