Everex NC1502

Dad

Howdy,

I downloaded and burned the 2007.1 spring edition. I installed it and found it runs from the CD rather than installing. So I read if I want to install it to click on the "Live Install" Icon. Well Nothing happens, the little mouse pointer shows its trying to do something but after 20 seconds or so it quits. I can get to the internet so it doesn't seem to be a network issue. Any ideas????

Ok, after much fiddling around I found that there are no IDE drivers for my hard drive. Its a WD800BEVS-22RSTO "80gig Western Digital"drive in a Laptop. I was trying to get 2006 to install, when I tried a different kernnel. This brought up a bunch of options to select an IDE driver. None worked so it would go past that point. I'm suprised that 2007.1 didn't work either. Buggered!

Edited by Dad

I bought this laptop at Wal-mart and it seems to be pretty nice for the price. However it came with billy gates vista preloaded. I tried to install 2007.1 then 2006 and even XP and none would work. I finally found when playing around with kernel options under 2006 that its a bus driver problem. It seems that the only driver is in vista, what a dirty trick! Anyone have any ideas?

I tried to install Mandriva 2007.1 using the live install. It would run fine from CD but when I clicked the "live Install" Icon nothing would happen. I ran it from command line and it complained about a hard drive error. Don't remember what it was. So I tried Mandriva 2006 and it would spew all kinds of Hard drive errors and IRQ errors. So I tried some different options and found if I used the optional kernel it would start to install. Then a window would come up asking me to pick the bus driver from a list. Of course the one I need probably isn't there so it would give me an error about Hardrake unable to determine what hardware was installed. I tried the Everex site to see if I could figure out what driver I needed, but nothing was listed. I also email them a question about it. Hope this helps, I know I should write down the errors but it was late and brain wasn't functioning well either!

we cannot determine anything unless you give us exact errors.

from the command line in mandriva 2007.1, give us the output of 'dmesg', 'lspci -vv' and 'ls /sys/block'. It would also help if you gave some basic hardware specifications of the system.

Jame

merged cross post as it contained useful information for the problem

The error I'm seeing when I do the command line "live Install is...an error occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystem. Please check your hardware for the cause of the problem at /usr/lib/libdrakX/fs/any.pm line 17

When I go to, configure your computer, hardware, look at config..., I see "SATA Controller, VT8237A SATA 2 port Controller" and "E IDE/ATA Controller, VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C/ pip

This the same info I see doing lspci -vv except for other stuff like pci bridge P4M900 bridge and other hardware stuff.

It appears that the drivers are there but something is preventing anything but vista accessing the drive. I wonder if this is a billy gate$ trick!

I didn't see a md5sum,

I even tried to load XP and I got the blue screen of doom each time I tried. So there is something screwy going on.

This info is from 2007.1 live install CD

Edited by Dad

There are no Raid options in the Bios. Actually there is very little in the Bios and even less that can be changed.

I also tried to install XP thinking maybe I could format the drive. However XP wouldn't load either. I'm not sure but maybe thats a windoze thing. It didn't display anything about older version of software, I got blue screens of death. Is it possible that in some way the drive has something installed to stop any formatting or changes to the drive?

I found on another web site, not the Everex site, that they are using something called "Pad-Lock Security Engine". It didn't say what it was or how to disable it. I suspect thats the problem!!!!!

I called Everex and they told me that its Vista that is preventing any other software from being installed. Charming!

Edited by Dad

I found on another web site, not the Everex site, that they are using something called "Pad-Lock Security Engine". It didn't say what it was or how to disable it. I suspect thats the problem!!!!!

This is likely... especially if that "engine" is a BIOS setting which prevents full HD access to anything else but the Veesta recoveryCD. Don't know what the heck is that "pad-lock-something", but if this is meant as an antitheft measure, then it's simply ridiculous.

I called Everex and they told me that its Vista that is preventing any other software from being installed. Charming!

And I am going for a ride on my pink elephant.

Either they think their customers are utterly stupid, or themselves apparently fall into the same category.

According to VIA, the SATA controller in your laptop is well supported since Mandriva 2007, and it also works fine with XP

Can you confirm it? Just boot from the Mandriva live CD, open a console and type in

fdisk -l

You will get a view of all disks and partitions the OS can "see".

Edited by scarecrow

I finally got it. I downloaded Knoppix 5.1 and used qtparted to partion and format the drive. It took me a long time to figure it out, old age I guess. Then I tried Mandriva 2007.1 live install again and it still won't see the drive. So something if funny with that. I'm trying to download the DVD version and try it.

Fdisk did see anything or DF and the device Icon had nothing.

I'm jumping back and forth between computers and its a pain to copy things from one screen to another, sorry. I did get the Knoppix DVD and install it on the hard drive! However I have no sound or internet connection. Solve one thing find a couple more!!