NeroLinux 3 beta is out

NeroLinux 3

The visual diffrence between 2 and 3 is Nerolinux changed from gtk1 to gtk2 engine, is one of the first thing you'll noticed. The other thing is that they trying to copy their Win interface and usabilities to Linux.

New features in NeroLinux 3:

* Blu-ray and HD DVD data recording support

* Upgrade to GTK 2.0

* Improved graphical user interface similar to the look and feel of the current Nero Burning ROM 7 edition

* Unicode support in all languages currently supported by Nero 7 Premium Reloaded

Features from NeroLinux 2:

* NeroLINUX uses NeroAPI for low-level operations (burn process)

- Autodetection and support for all types of internal CD and DVD recorders supported by NeroAPI 6.6

- Supports the new 2.6 IDE driver interface (non SCSI emulation)

* Supports hot plug for external USB devices, without any application restart

* Stores and reloads compilations in XML format

* Fully compatible with FreeDB, to automatically get disc information over the Internet

* Supports 2.4 and 2.6 kernel flavors

* Provided as RPM or Debian package for easy installation

Functionalities

* NeroLINUX is able to burn the following formats

o Data CDs/DVDs (ISO9660, UDF and UDF/ISO9660 Bridge)

o Bootable CDs/DVDs using the El-Torito standard

o Audio CDs (CD TEXT Infos can be added)

o Mix Mode CDs

o Enhanced CDs (CD EXTRA)

o CD and DVD Images (ISO, NRG and Cue Sheets)

o Ability to burn multisession CD/DVD

o Double Layer DVDs

o DVD-Video and miniDVD

o Double Layer DVDs (+ and - with LJR)

* Copy CD or DVD as under Windows

* Image Recorder is available

* Digital Audio Extraction for audio tracks

NeroWelcome-pre.png Nero-pre.png

click to enlarge

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

* Improved graphical user interface similar to the look and feel of the current Nero Burning ROM 7 edition

This is more than enough for me to convince me never, ever using it.

Linux already has a superb FREE burner which functionality-wise is ages ahead of Ahead's product- although some people seem to forget it's existence (mostly Gnome users, that is... :P ).

So, let Nero 3 be the paid solution of choice for Gnome users (although gnomebaker does not suck as hard as graveman and a few others do- actually it could even be usable after some generous polishing and bugfixing...).

Edited by scarecrow

I've had Nero Linux 3 installed for a few days now and this beta has been solid so far I like it just fine. I don't care about looks, but I use Nero on Win and I like having a consistent UI. I don't have KDE installed anymore and I don't know of anything kb3 does that NL3 doesn't anyway (though I haven't used kb3 for quite a while).

Besides, if we want companies to support Linux with software, drivers, etc. at some point we have to buy from those companies who try to support Linux. Everything can't be free if we want everything. At some point we have to give some incentive, make our vote for choice of OS noticed - with our $$$. And I only paid $20 for Nero Linux.

I don't have KDE installed anymore and I don't know of anything kb3 does that NL3 doesn't anyway (though I haven't used kb3 for quite a while).

k3b 1.X makes images of disks with (deliberate) bad sectors, does audioCD ripping using reliable error correction algorithms (paranoia libs), rips css protected videoDVD's directly to avi, rips multisession CD's...

NeroLinux will do the above the day pigs fly.

Edited by scarecrow

I have no need for consistency with Windows programs. I don't use Windows at all. I agree with scarecrow - With a wonderful application like k3b available, for KDE users (and Gnomies who don't mind "polluting" their system with kde libs) the choice is obvious.

could even be usable after some generous polishing and bugfixing...

Description fits quite many Gnome applications, or? B)

I'm preferring Gnome Baker to K3B since I converted from KDE to Gnome. Was using KDE for two years, and now, I prefer Gnome. Strange eh. I hated Gnome when I first used it.

But I find it far more customisable to make it look nice, than KDE. Anyway, no bashing on either front, both are good DE's.

Blu-ray and HD DVD data recording support
Is k3b able to do that?

Some people complain when big companies don't release their products to Linux. Now that at least Ahead does it. Whether you like it or not it can be a nice alternative and an important step in making Linux more popular.

I do not mean to bash Gnome. Preferences vary. I do think, that many kde applications are superior compared to their Gnome AND Windows counterparts, but that's kinda off topic. So no more comments on that. My apologies, no disrespect towards Gnome users. Just a little bit of danish "humor" or something, from a dedicated KDE addict.

I do (of coarse) agree that it's nice to see companies like Nero making products for Linux. Personally I'd rather support the OS k3b project though. K3b is one of the programs that made the conversion to Linux very easy for me

scarecrow said:

k3b 1.X makes images of disks with (deliberate) bad sectors, does audioCD ripping using reliable error correction algorithms (paranoia libs), rips css protected videoDVD's directly to avi, rips multisession CD's...

NeroLinux will do the above the day pigs fly.

I've never needed any of that stuff (except audio ripping - Grip works) and probably won't 'til pigs fly. But if you do...

the YinYeti Said:

I recently abandonned all other burners in favor of Brasero.

I agree, a really nice burner. I've played around with it some and I like it better than the last version of kb3 I used. But like I said before, I haven't had KDE installed for a long time.

dexter11 said:

Some people complain when big companies don't release their products to Linux. Now that at least Ahead does it. Whether you like it or not it can be a nice alternative and an important step in making Linux more popular.

Yup. We've gotta vote with our wallets at some point.