clamav problem (Mandriva antivirus software)

prost

I didn't realize that Mandriva 2007 had antivirus software until I right-clicked a file & found it in Actions. I ran Clamav. It found several viruses. I used the file manager & saw that it put them into the quarantine folder .klamav/quarantine in /home, as I had chosen. It then gave an error message saying it couldn't put them there! When I looked in the quarantine tab to see its contents, there were none there.

I then changed to another quarantine folder.

Are they in quarantine or not?

By changing to another folder does this affect any viruses in the old quarantine folder?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

It's probably unlikely that it found a virus, possible, but perhaps unlikely. I don't use KlamAV anymore, or any other Virus scanner, I feel totally comfortable/safe now without using one. I do remember when I first started using Linux/Mandriva (I don't mean to sound like a veteran or anything, I'm still very much a nOOb) that KlamAV would mark certain things as problems, which they really weren't, it was just something to do with settings, and had to do with the size of archive files, it would basically mark any archived file as a problem if the file was larger than a certain size, and the size limit was not very large at all. If this is what is going on for you, you have to find that setting in the options somewhere, and you either change the size, or disable that part, (I think it is disable it, but it was some time ago, and my memory may be failing) Anyway, use the GUI, and have a good look through the options and see what you can find.

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I said, I no longer use any anti-Virus stuff, so I don't have Klam to check it out.

Best of luck

Yes, there is/or was an option to either change the minimum filesize that will get detected, or to disable it all together. It's been a long time since I used it, but I seem to recall that the setting may not be that obvious, but it is/was there.

What you are describing, being zip/tar files, sound's like your problem is what I am talking about. Basically there is nothing to worry about, but it is annoying, and I know I managed to get rid of the problem.

Have a good look, and then have another good look :D is all I can suggest.

I'll see what I can find out.

Have a read of these

http://wiki.clamav.net/Main/FAQ#I_get_many...positives_of_Ov

http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwiki/i...picked_it_up.3F

sound familiar? See if that helps

I know that there was some option to alter this, things may have changes though.

Now I'm starting to doubt myself, maybe there is no option, but I can still picture it in my mind, maybe my mind is going on me :unsure:

Edited by jagwah