ATI x1300 and 3D [solved]

Chiara

old problem, I know... I read all topics here about it, but I cannot figure out what exactly I should do: I installed mandriva 2007.1 on my laptop and this is the first time at all I try to seriously use linux.

Here is exactly what I did:

tried mandriva one live: 3D worked fine

installed mandriva free: 3D didn't work

downloaded and installed dkms-ati, with kernel source and dependencies (at least, I think so), rebooted. Still 3D doesn't work (it says that my system doesn't support 3D. with glxinfo I get 'GLX missing').

Now (after installin dkms) I have ati control panel, but when I access it I see 'driver does not provide FireGL x11 extension'.

could anyone please give me a hint?

Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for this line:

load "glx"

it should be in the modules section. If not, check the xorg.conf from the Mandriva One CD, and compare the differences in case it should need dri instead of glx.

in xorg.conf generated by live edition, in modules section, there is glx as well as dri.

moreover, in section 'device' the xorg.conf from live has driver "fglrx", the one from installed "fbdev".

shall I simply change those entries or should I do something else before?

Here is a little bit different topic:

Looking at the 2 xorg.conf files, I also noticed there are differences about monitors and screens: I have a 1280x800 monitor, which the live edition correctly idenifies, while the installed free edition allows me only a 1024x768 resolution.

In xorg.con from live (monitor section) there are a couple of entries like this one

# modeline generated by gtf(1) [handled by XFdrake]
ModeLine "1280x800_120"  181.21  1280 1376 1520 1760  800 801 804 858  -HSync +Vsync

missing in the xorg.conf from installed.

In section 'screen' subsection 'display' as well, the live xorg.conf has Modes "1280x800", while the installed one has Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480". How can I get the installed one to work just as the live does?

Thank you so much!

After installing dkms-ati (and, I hope, ati and kernel-source) you don't just have to reboot - you also have to run through the graphics card configuration routine from the control center and switch to the proprietary driver there. Good luck :)

sorry for the stupid question, but... how shall I do that??

thanx!

I solved te trouble, I post here my solution in case it is useful to someone:

I installed task-3ddesktop and run

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

(found somwhere in mandriva forums)

now everithing is perfectly ok! great!

thanks to everybody!