can't boot mandriva 2007 [solved]

Guest Aldishor

Guest Aldishor

Hi. I'm really new to Linux so if you can help me with my problem please explain the solution as detailed as possible. I just installed Mandriva 2007 and when I boot the OS the screen flickers blue and black and I can't do anything. My video card is an nvidia 7950gt. If anyone could help me start enjoying Linux I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Sounds like you did not configure and test your video driver correctly during the install.

From your boot menu, select the failsafe boot option. This will boot you into the command line as the root user.

Then enter the command: XFdrake

You can then select and test a video driver and monitor setting. You can try compatible nvideo drivers if your specific card is not listed. If you're having problems getting a driver to work, the VESA video driver will probably work.

Be sure to select the "Test" option after you make the driver selection, to be sure it works ok.

That should get you up and going. You may not get 3D support, I'm not sure. If not and you want 3D, you will have to install a proprietary nvidia driver. There's lots of posts about that here, so Search for more info.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention. After you finish the configuration with the XFdrake wizard, to reboot enter the following command at the command line:

shutdown -r now

Edited by jboy

Guest Aldishor

jboy, thanks a lot for the reply. I'll give it a go right away. Actually I tested the video during the install and it seemed ok.

There's one thing I forgot to mention: when it boots into Mandriva, the Numlock key led blinks along with the screen, as if the OS keeps restarting somehow, which made me think it might not be the video card. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll try your solution now and keep you posted. Thanks again!

Guest eyemean

Thank you Jboy, you also helped me out with my problem, lol.

I installed Mandriva 2007 which worked fine, but muggins here decided to select an additional option for the graphics card and then reboot, guess what, when it rebooted the screen became a mess and i couldnt make out a thing to change the settings back.

Cheers bud.

Now I need to try get dual screen owrking on Mandriva then I'll be in 100% love with it, hahah.

Edited by eyemean

After you do jboys routine, you can also just type .....reboot.....instead. easier to always remember and you don't have to worry about not getting the typed spaces wrong/right.

Yes a big welcome to MUB.

Cheers. John