firefox refuses to start [solved]

ilia_kr

I wander who that might be ...

Probably not MS directly.... its too obvious :D

Its really easy to find stuff to crash browsers. :D just google search ... (I tried one so I have been gone for a few mins )

Its more likely Windows fanboyz.... and its usually using a flash detector that's hacked just to redirect to a address that crashes browsers if the browser isn't IE and not on windows... so you can actually circumvent by spoofing the info... or just find the page it redirects IE to and paste...

Hi Gowater. I really did not know that kind of thing could be done against FireFox.

I still have occasional FF crashes so in future I will keep careful notes and see if I can pick up a pattern. I have found that any site that causes a crash doesn't do so when FF is reopened using restore session. Even starting new sessions at a later date and returning to these websites doesn't seem cause a crash again. So far they do seem to be random instances but I will pay closer attention.

The joy with FF is that when it crashes it does not bring down the system the way IE does in windows.

Cheers. John.

Hi Gowater. I really did not know that kind of thing could be done against FireFox.

I still have occasional FF crashes so in future I will keep careful notes and see if I can pick up a pattern. I have found that any site that causes a crash doesn't do so when FF is reopened using restore session. Even starting new sessions at a later date and returning to these websites doesn't seem cause a crash again. So far they do seem to be random instances but I will pay closer attention.

The joy with FF is that when it crashes it does not bring down the system the way IE does in windows.

Cheers. John.

This one is just lazyness I guess but does this work for anyone ???

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/

Cheers. John.

Well I tried the first one (to be fair it said "this will crash your browser") and it definately did :D however it restarted WITHOUT that page (pretty smart)

90% of the time there isn't going to be anything to interest us on those pages anyway .... :D but some stuff is just annoying...

Found another lazy page today by accident...

interested to see if it works for anyone?

Worked okay for me. I even clicked through many parts of it and had no problem.

Hope it helps, I am using 2.0.0.3-2 mdv 2007.1 John.

Yeah that's weird....

I know I have a compatible plug-in since the site actually works if I go direct to "/home.asp" which is where the index.htm redirects the successful...detection... and I can then navigate the flash normally....

Anyone have any clues on this?

edit: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070208 Iceweasel/2.0.0.2 (Debian-2.0.0.2+dfsg-3)

Edited by Gowator

I know I have a compatible plug-in since the site actually works if I go direct to "/home.asp" which is where the index.htm redirects the successful...detection... and I can then navigate the flash normally....

Anyone have any clues on this?

I've noticed that the new flash installers only install the libflashplayer.so and not the flashplayer.xpt that provides scripting support. I have found that some sites like NBC will not work properly without it. For instance, they will play a short commercial and stop, instead of continuing to play the flash video you want to see.

So do you have the flashplayer.xpt installed with the libflashplayer.so?

I've noticed that the new flash installers only install the libflashplayer.so and not the flashplayer.xpt that provides scripting support. I have found that some sites like NBC will not work properly without it. For instance, they will play a short commercial and stop, instead of continuing to play the flash video you want to see.

So do you have the flashplayer.xpt installed with the libflashplayer.so?

I don't know but I'll surely check :D thanks :D