I need help accomplishing 2 simple tasks

I have Mandriva One running on my Sony Vaio, and I absolutely love it. These two problems are a bit nagging, however. The touchpad is way too sensitive, and it is set so that just barely touching it triggers a "click." This means that when I am just regularly typing, if my thumb accidentally brushes the the touchpad, the cursor moves to a different part of the screen. It's infuriating.

Is this fixable? The regular mouse settings don't seem to offer a way.

The other problem is suspending or hibernating the machine. Ideally, I'd love to be able to simply shut the lid to put the computer to sleep. If that's not possible, I'd love to be able to hit suspend, and then just push a key to wake it up. But when I do this, it freezes upon starting back up.

Any ideas?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have a laptop with a recent install of kubuntu. I installed the package KSynaptics to give a gui with some touchpad controls. If you are using KDE and you have a Synaptics touchpad, this is an option for you. It is also possible to specify touchpad parameters within /etc/xorg.conf, but I have not done this as I felt KSynaptics was adequate for my needs.

You can change the options for the touchpad in the xorg.conf file. You can read more about it in this other thread. If that doesn't make sense, post your xorg.conf file and we'll see where to put the appropriate line.

Can't help with the hibernation though, sorry. This has always been a mystery to me and seems to vary wildly depending on the exact laptop model. Your best bet is just to search the net for your model number.

• 4 weeks later...

2 simple tasks : Hey - I am running a Sony Vaio 19" Powerbook, the Synaptics touchpad works 100%, but I gave up on a bunch of distros/LiveCD/2006/ etc installs as they all gave me a considerable amount of headaches. I am running MCN Delft, which is a small distro of Mandriva Spring 2007.1 & uses all the updates, etc ..

That might be your best bet. Dont know too much about upgrading from one though - I would simply do a big backup & go-for-it ... watch me get shot down in flames here ....

Also check out the PCLOS & MCNL Delft forums - there's a lot of info out there ... let me know what works ...

BTW - I have another toy - a Picturebook that has a Crusoe chip in it - I recently dumped XP & repalced it with Delft also - works like a charm .. later ...

BR>Pete