Superuser File Manager

addr

Guest rickst29

Slightly OT, since you're looking for Nautilus. But on KDE I really like Krusader, which the Nautilus Developers themselves feel to have been the "original" high-quality double-pane file manager on a Linux desktop. (Konqueror IMO is OK for merely browsing files, but it's totally inadequate for MANIPULATING files/folders.)

I DON'T like that KDE seems to be dumping Krusader it for something new in KDE4. Download the RPM, give it a try :thumbs:

Krusader is great (I use it all the time), but it has no real chances becoming an official KDE filemanager as long as it does not support thumbnails. There are some thoughts about making Dolphin the default KDE4 filemanager, but not Krusader.

Still, I love that filemanager. Next best available after Midnight Commander (of course!).

• 9 months later...

Asalamu aleikum

Thanks a million for the very helpful tips. I created menu items as follows

kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
gksu nautilus
kdesu

(the last one to open ANY app as root: i often find k3b wants this)

I followed these users' tips about opening konqueror faster, but i found it didn't seem to work on my system.

Krusader is great (I use it all the time), but it has no real chances becoming an official KDE filemanager as long as it does not support thumbnails. There are some thoughts about making Dolphin the default KDE4 filemanager, but not Krusader.

Still, I love that filemanager. Next best available after Midnight Commander (of course!).

Thumbnails? The whole point of two pane file managers is displaying file lists. How could you display thumbnails in a file lists without

a, displaying miniature images

b, displaying looooooooong lists? Besides generating thumbnails sometimes takes a of time and it slows the system down.

Anyway I have no problem Krusader not being the default file manager as long as it exists.

Krusader is great (I use it all the time)

+1 for Krusader. this is my main filemanager now even though i am using either fluxbox or enlightenment as my wm. it provides the right mix of eyecandy and functionality. emelfm/emelfm2 is also nice if on a really old system.

kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement
gksu nautilus
kdesu

(the last one to open ANY app as root: i often find k3b wants this)

only at first run, then it will setup the proper permissions for your user(s). if you keep on logging in as root to use your disc writers then something might be wrong.

ciao!

• 2 weeks later...