Mandriva 2007.1 released!

arctic

A bit late, but anyway:

Tuesday April 10 2007

Today Mandriva is proud to announce the release of its brand new distribution that provides up-to-date and freshly released open source software: Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring.

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring integrates the latest innovations in the fields of office suite applications, Internet, multimedia and virtualization technologies. Not only does Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring bring to users the most advanced Linux operating system, it also includes some very special new features:

WengoPhone, an open source software developed by OpenWengo that uses the open SIP protocol to provide competitive and high quality phone calls!

Google Picasa, an application for organizing and editing digital photos, and Google Earth, the famous virtual globe;

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring is compatible with the Wii™ remote. Users can therefore use it instead of a regular joystick on Linux games!

Drakvirt, a Mandriva-developed configuration tool to help users configure virtualization;

Updated and improved versions of the Mandriva configuration tools;

Metisse is not a 3D desktop...

However, the key innovation of Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring is Metisse, the unconventional new window environment developed by the French In Situ project. Metisse is designed to implement highly innovative features which improve the usability of the desktop, giving you completely new ways to interact with your system! Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring also provides the newest versions of the Compiz and Beryl 3D-accelerated desktops. Together, Metisse, Compiz and Beryl - with the convenient Mandriva configuration tool - make Mandriva Linux the must-have distribution for cutting-edge graphical technologies.

Read more here.

The Mandriva-1-Spring DVD has been placed in Bigpond (Telstra) ADSL just a few hours ago and already some 40 odd downloads (including mine) are underway and already 4 have completed downloads.

Last night for a tryout I did a urpmi upgrade to Spring over my 2007 official and it went extremely well.

I had a little problem towards the end of the upgrade but I managed to sort it out and it works great.

My problem originated, I think, because I didn't know about going to init 3 first. I did do it from the Konsole rather than MCC after I had selected the anorien ftp site and 2007-1 first. I know for the future now.

Cheers. John.

Guest rickst29

I've been seeding DVD-free for about 20 hours, and plan to leave it running continuously for a few days before I stop to burn the DVD and try an upgrade :D

John, are operations following 'init-3' approach required only for command-line based urpmi update, or do I need to do something at that runlevel if I'm starting up my box from the install-DVD? (Please link a URL about it.... even if not relevant for me, so that others who ARE doing a command-line 'Update' to 2007.1 can see.)

I updated from my downloaded iso. Didn't do an init-3. Everything worked fine.
Did you boot from your iso, or did you just use it as an rpm source?

The way I understand it, if you boot from the iso you can cleanly update the system on the hard drive because it's not running, but if you're booted into 2007.0 and then upgrade (either by switching easy-urpmi sources or by installing rpms from DVD) then you're trying to update a system which is currently running - this is why the kernel doesn't get automatically updated and why not having X running might be a worthwhile precaution. At least that's how I think it works.

Hello rickst29.

Neddie has it.

I was running 2007 and used Konsole to do the upgrade. I know that is why I had a small temporary problem. I think the going to init3 might have prevented or minimised the problem, I am not sure.

When the cli said that it had completed some 500 successful downloads and installs, it said that 43 packages failed to install and why. I carefully read the text and it said it was ldetect and common-licenses from 2007 that caused the block so I cli'd to delete them using no-deps and then did cli install for those two items and they were 2007-1 versions . I resumed the upgrade and it immediately installed the remainder.

Rebooted and I was away AOK. I have to say I really enjoyed the experience and solving the problem. (Me pats self on back :D :D ). It may not have been the technically correct way to do it all but it worked and I have learn't a little more.

Still waiting for my 2007-1 DVD download to complete. It is now 55% completed (34 have already completed and another 86 are downloading). It has resulted in reduced download speed for the moment. But who cares when the download is for free.

Cheers for now. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Still waiting for my 2007-1 DVD download to complete. It is now 55% completed (34 have already completed and another 86 are downloading

For comparison. for info

I downloaded by torrent, finished more than 24h ago, already have a share ratio of 1

linuxtracker reports for the dvd more than 1000 snatches and

181 seeder(s), 991 leecher(s) = 1172 peer(s) total

Guest rickst29

John, Neddie, and Rich:

Thanks for your suggestions (and Rich, letting me know that 'Upgrade' did OK on your box). I'll try doing DVD-based 'upgrade' on my backup box, which is almost a clone of my main box. In the past I've always done "clean" Installs, but except for the X11 Upgrade this one looks pretty "safe".

I'll wait about a week, for those of you who live dangerously to find all the KATs first. :unsure:

2007.1 is a damn fine release, very slick, I love it. Not perfect, but nothing is, 2007.0 wasn't to bad, I only had a couple of little niggles with it, but they were enough to have me go off to kubuntu for a while. But 2007.1 has me, I don't know what it is, it's probably a lot of little things all adding up together, but I just love it, I love the looks, the feel, it's been rock solid for me, I couldn't really ask for more.

Congrat's to the Mandriva team, excellent job, :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try it out :thumbs:

It have been awhile since I tried Mandriva (or an .rpm based distro for that matter).

By the way is the latest Mandriva one based on spring? I don't have any blank DVDs atm. so..