Upgrading to Mandriva 2007 Spring [solved]

yossarian

I think I will just get the full download and see how that goes. It is still rather irritating as I do not see any reason why it should not work given that it is an option...

Anyway, I am not here to have dig at Mandriva or anyone else.

Thanks for your help Dexter11

Leo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded and burned the dvd image and attempted the upgrade again, I have an x environment but the fonts don't load (all I see are unfilled sqares instead of letters in any gui)

I can see text if I open a shell and I still get the same error message for urpmi. This is so frustrating I think I may give up on Mandriva entirely which is a shame since I have used it for around 6 years now.

Leo

I downloaded and burned the dvd image and attempted the upgrade again, I have an x environment but the fonts don't load (all I see are unfilled sqares instead of letters in any gui)

I can see text if I open a shell and I still get the same error message for urpmi. This is so frustrating I think I may give up on Mandriva entirely which is a shame since I have used it for around 6 years now.

Leo

actually I have also encountered this while booting the live cd - to overcome this after various attempts of 'this n that' I opted for ENG (F2 I think) even though it was already in English I still went for F2 then elected ENG & for some reason the fonts where all visible again - HTH

Thanks Jaraeez but I am not sure what you mean, at which point should I try F2?

I have tried using rpm to fix urpm as Dexter11 suggested but I get :

rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5support.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

the same module as before. I really do not want to do an install from scratch as it has been a while and I have all sorts of settings and packages loaded that I do not want to lose (and indeed should not be forced to lose).

sorry, when the cd boots I think you have a few seconds to hit a key or eslse it boots normally. In them few seconds at the bottom of the screen you have 3 options (trying to remember) & I think F2 was for language. Here I hit F2 then elected Eng then booted which seemed (for me) to do the trick.. HTH (although this may not be your problem)

Thanks Jaraeez but I am not sure what you mean, at which point should I try F2?

I have tried using rpm to fix urpm as Dexter11 suggested but I get :

rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5support.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

the same module as before. I really do not want to do an install from scratch as it has been a while and I have all sorts of settings and packages loaded that I do not want to lose (and indeed should not be forced to lose).

Great, you just met dependency hell. This is the disadvantage of using the plain rpm command. You can download and install that package too hoping it won't have another dependency or you can turn dependency checking off. See the man page of rpm.

Ahh dep hell... that sounds like something someone with patience would put up with, unfortunately it is not one of my stronger virtues. I took a sledgehammer to it and saved a package list in my 2006 install then did a new 2007.1 installation over the top of the 2007 root partition (using the saved package list for the package selection) and reusing the 2006 /home partition (setting up a single new user with a custom user id). Once it was logged in i set up the old users in the user config tool with the same user ids as 2006 and it looks to have worked.

Admittedly I have not restarted the box yet from the first boot which was where the previous upgrade fell down but I am just about to try that....

Leo

Hey, it worked!!

There is a very long delay at boot (after grub and before the progress bar starts to move, I have a feeling that it is something to do with usb drivers but I will start a new thread for that). The Nvidia driver doesn't appear to have been loaded but that's not a problem I can't get around. It is infinitely better than 2007 (which never worked for me)

thanks for your patience and assistance

Leo