Upgrading to Mandriva 2007 Spring [solved]

yossarian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it, it didn't work.

For a minute I thought it would help: it started dowloading some packages, but after about 10 packages it printed the rest of the lines at the screen again, as if they were already downloaded. One thing I noticed, though, is that just before it started to download, it printed: "...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with one".

does anyone know what it means?

One thing I noticed, though, is that just before it started to download, it printed: "...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with one".

The first thing I would try is

urpmi --auto-update --wget

to tell urpmi to use wget instead of curl to download the packages.

If that don't work I suggest you try using another mirror (using easy-urpmi or similar).

Edited by Mhn

It didn't help. I got "... retrieving failed: wget failed: exited with 1" message, then downloded some 20 packages, then again skipped the rest of the packages, and here I am...

I'm getting frutrated. Maybe I should try the Live CD installation. Has anyone tried it? I'm sure I'm not the first one to upgrade from 2007.0 to 2007.1.

Let me quote the beatles:

Help! I need somebody!

Have you changed mirrors?

I have used already three different mirrors, and besides, I am getting a satisfactory network bandwidth when downloading the packages, so I don't think it is the mirrors.

And more than that, I now tried to use the british mirror that was recommended here, but all I get is that all my media already exist.

OK, I'm back.

I tried to run with the configuration graphical tool. I must say the beginning was promising: the first ~200 packages (out of 1150) were downloaded and installed properly.

Ans then the OS crashed.

I couldn't even boot from Linux. I made a backup of all my stuff, of course, and I'm taking the first few weeks as an experiment anyway, but still, I must say I was a little disappointed.

I re-installed from the Live CD. I could choose to install it in "/" or in "/home". I chose the first option. The installation went smoothly.

Some of the configuration was lost on the way. For example, all the users were deleted, and all the programs I installed were also deleted during the format process. The good news are that /home directory, with all my stuff, is still there! furthermore, all my bookmarks are there. What I don't understand is, if the user was deleted, how come the bookmarks were saved? I thought the bookmarks were associated somehow to the user, because each user can define his (or her) own bookmarks.

I saw that some of the kind people who tried to help me are developers, or people who probably know the development group of Mandriva. If I may, I would like to use this opportunity to make a suggestion. I hope you won't see it as criticism, as my intentions are pure and totally constructive.

Ubuntu released a new version this week. I saw on their website a highlighted link to instructions as of how to upgrade from older releases. I think it is important, when releasing a new version, not to forget to add detailed upgrading instructions. Otherwise, unexperienced users, like me, may feel confused and even abandoned, or at least left behind.

As I am a newbie, I will probably be back with some more questions and challenges. I'd like to thank all the good soles :angel: that took part in this thread, for putting their time and efforts and sharing their advice with us.

Edited by yossarian

The only supported upgrade method is to get a traditional-installer type ISO set (Free, or Powerpack / Powerpack+) and use the 'upgrade' option. Upgrading via urpmi is for experts; that is, it normally works, but you may have to work around some issues yourself.

That said, any time you're getting errors from curl or wget that's nothing to do with the packaging per se, it's some kind of communication error between you and your download site.

Thank you, Adam. Still, I think the right place to declare that supported upgrade is provided only through the ISO set is the front page of the official Mandriva site, near detailed instructions how to do it, and not to leave the non-professional users hanged in the air.

Now, I'd like to ask you what do you mean by "a traditional-installer type ISO set (Free, or Powerpack / Powerpack+)", do you refer to the 4 CD's set that can be downloaded from the site, or does that also include the Live CD? And what options should the user choose during the installation in order to upgrade the OS without deleting the configuration?

Regarding the curl/wget errors, I wasn't aware of that. I'll know for next time, so thanks!

Now, I'd like to ask you what do you mean by "a traditional-installer type ISO set (Free, or Powerpack / Powerpack+)", do you refer to the 4 CD's set that can be downloaded from the site,

Any of the above.

or does that also include the Live CD?
You can't upgrade from a live cd.
And what options should the user choose during the installation in order to upgrade the OS without deleting the configuration?
There is an option. You only have to choose upgrade instead of install.

OK, I tried the official upgrade method (I used a boot.iso image and selected upgrade to go from my 2007 install, that I never used because of sound issues. It seemed to go ok and I rebooted but had to leave it. Whilts away from my machine, someone who shall remain nameless decide they HAD to visit ebay so logged the machine on and when Isaw it it appeared to be working OK. Following a reboot however X will not start (libfreetype.so.6 cannot open shared object files - the flle doesn't exist) and urpmi does not work (alot of errors about scripts and stuff - too tired and pissed off to take notes).

What annoys me most though is that there was a succesful boot and the sound appeared to be working. Any ides how I can find out what went wrong?

Thanks

Leo

libfreetype.so.6 cannot open shared object files - the flle doesn't exist
If you got this error message it means you have to install it. So
urpmi libfreetype.so

should help if urpmi would work.

urpmi does not work (alot of errors about scripts and stuff - too tired and pissed off to take notes).
without the error messages we can't say anything for sure. Edited by dexter11

OK (apologies for the lack of detail in the last post)

When I type urpmi (yes i know it needs more but this also works for urpmi --auto-select --update) I get

Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/auto/URPM/URPM.so' for module URPM: libkrb5support.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/urpm/msg.pm line 8
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/urpm/msg.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/urpm/msg.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/urpm.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/urpm.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 26.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 26.

I think what annoys me most is that I do not understand WHY it has got so ****ed up and that it is probably something I have done!

edit: Hey that is quite cool (I think), I'm being censored automatically does that work if I type **** as well?

Leo

Edited by Leo

The only way I can think of to fix this is to download the urpmi packages manually and install them by the plain rpm command.

When AdamW was writing about the only supported way for upgrading he meant to download the cd or dvd isos burn them check them and upgrade from them. The boot.iso doesn't count in this.