Upgrading to Mandriva 2007 Spring [solved]

yossarian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I've finished updating, and I'm a bit confused.

I hope I don't sound silly, but how do I l know if I actually upgraded the OS? On one hand, I see I can use Metisse engine, for example. But on the other hand, I still got gnome 2.16 (and not 2.18), and firefox 1.5 (and not 2, and I don't even see it in the grahical configuration tool, which, BTW, looks exactly the same, although I read somewhere it was supposed to be improved). Does anyone have any idea how can I have the full upgrade?

Edited by yossarian

Yes, well, with all the excitement I forgot some important details.

I did it via the net and used arctic advice:

In order to minimize the risk of something breaking, I also suggest that, before you launch "urpmi --auto-update" or "urpmi --auto-select --auto" (--auto-update is the recommended procedure), you go to an init 3 environment (=text mode only)

process is:

press ctrl+alt+f1

init 3

then perform

urpmi --auto-select -auto

or

urpmi --auto-update

After running the easy-urpmi script and updating my databases I used the urpmi --auto-updte option. it downloaded and installed some packages (59 MB, if I'm not mistaken), and then I did reboot.

Edited by yossarian

Which mirror have you used and did you select 2007.1 in easyurpmi (and not accidently 2007.0)? Maybe you got a mirror that wasn't synced yet or that had some faulty configuration... :unsure: Or you simply selected the wrong release...

Which mirror have you used and did you select 2007.1 in easyurpmi (and not accidently 2007.0)? Maybe you got a mirror that wasn't synced yet or that had some faulty configuration... :unsure: Or you simply selected the wrong release...

I don't think so. I picked 2007 Spring release and I remember I saw 2007.1 packages downloaded. Hereby is the code the easy-urpmi provided, with the all the servers:

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/main/release with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia --update main_updates ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/main/updates with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia main_backports ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/main/backports with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/contrib/release with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia --update contrib_updates ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/contrib/updates with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia contrib_backports ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/contrib/backports with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia non-free ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/non-free/release with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia --update non-free_updates ftp://mirror.inspire.net.nz/mandrake/official/2007.1/i586/media/non-free/updates with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia plf-free_backports ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/plf/mandriva/2007.1/free/backports/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree_backports ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/plf/mandriva/2007.1/non-free/backports/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/plf/mandriva/2007.1/free/release/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/plf/mandriva/2007.1/non-free/release/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz

You are right Arctic.

Getting only 59Mbs downloaded is roughly about 10% of what should have been downloaded. It looks like all he got was a few updates rather than an upgrade.

Make Certain that you have setup up urpmi first selected for 2007Spring. I recommend the anorien mirror website in UK, it is always spot on. Then follow Arctic's routine.

Cheers. John.

Hi,

Just continuing from the discussion in the earlier posts, I too installed 2007.0 Free (and the associated non-free stuff) and its by far the closest thing to perfection for me. I'd like to upgrade to 2007.1 (the live CD looks awesome!). However i'd like to know if "upgrading" and doing a "fresh install" would be exactly the same effect?

Thanks!

-Anshul

59 packages is nowhere near a full upgrade. I'm guessing here, but when you do an upgrade that involves urpmi itself, it will be broken into stages: first urpmi and anything the new version of urpmi depends on will be installed, then everything else. I am guessing you only did the first stage - the upgrade of urpmi itself - and not the second. So I agree with arctic that you should re-run the command.

Please rerun

urpmi --auto-update

in init 3 mode.

I reran it. I reran it not less than four times.

Every time, after the OS checks if all the databases are updated (they are), I am asked if I want to install 1157 packages (2557 MB, much better). After choosing Yes I am asked to chose a kernel version (one out of forty), afterwards I am asked if it's ok to remove five packages (I said yes), and then something weird happens: I get hundreds of lines being thrown to the screen in a split of a second, as if all the packages are already installed. Then I am being notified politely that "you may want to update your databases" or something similar, and that's it. After the reboot I still get the 2007.0 version.

Does anyone know what did I do wrong?

Edited by yossarian

I reran it. I reran it not less than four times.

Every time, after the OS checks if all the databases are updated (they are), I am asked if I want to install 1157 packages (2557 MB, much better). After choosing Yes I am asked to chose a kernel version (one out of forty), afterwards I am asked if it's ok to remove five packages (I said yes), and then something weird happens: I get hundreds of lines being thrown to the screen in a split of a second, as if all the packages are already installed. Then I am being notified politely that "you may want to update your databases" or something similar, and that's it. After the reboot I still get the 2007.0 version.

Does anyone know what did I do wrong?

What does the "hundreds of lines" tell you?

Maybe run a

urpmi --clean

and then try again.