Comparing Mandriva ONE to Ubuntu 7.04 Live-CD

arctic

Yeah, I agree. Adept is definitely one of the soft spots in Kubuntu. I also prefer Synaptic when using Kubuntu but I'd much prefer if the KDE version "Adept" would improve instead. As far as I know, Kubuntu is a younger project than Ubuntu so it's a bit behind on some points. Adept being the most prominent one.

I went round and round a couple of times and quit. That was my one and only experience with Kubuntu.

Been there myself as well. Let me (safely?) assume that the disk was pre-partitioned, and the root filesystem was ReiserFS.

When I changed it to ext3, installation went straightaway (it was with 6.10). Why? I don't know.

Feisty like Edgy will not save and remember DNS nameservers from the GUI and the max screen resolution is 1024x768 unless I edit xorg.conf.
I haven't tried Feisty but Spring One can only manage a resolution of 640x480 on my laptop! :o It's got a 1400x1050 screen which is always temperamental on live CDs but usually they manage at least 1024x768, I've never seen one so low before! So mileage may vary! But after figuring out how to fix the res I do like what I've seen of Spring so far :thumbs: For some reason the auto-repository selection doesn't work for me but it's happy after I add the mirrors from easy-urpmi. And it seems lots of my 2007.0 niggles have been addressed.

Yep, it's me :). Unfortunately I won't be around permanently, I still just don't have time to do this board and the official one, but I wanted to drop in and check on the response to Spring, I'm glad to see it's been so positive so far.

neddie, sorry to hear about that problem: fortunately it's my favourite type of problem - you know what went wrong and you know how to fix it! If you could file a bug at http://qa.mandriva.com/ (if the 2007 Spring product is *still* not available, file the bug on Cooker with a note saying it's for 2007 Spring) with the following information:

lspcidrake -v

monitor-edid --MonitorsDB

/etc/X11/xorg.conf - the one generated by Mandriva that gives you 640x480, and the one after you fixed it

/var/log/Xorg.0.log (ideally, again, both before and after fixing the issue)

we would almost certainly be able to fix it for future releases. Thanks :)

Hey vamp I had that problem myself come to think of it. What I had to do was during the partition stage of the Ubuntu install is right click and delete all my linux partitions. Then start from scratch with the free space. Making a partition for /swap, /, and /home. Then when it came to the next screen I sometimes actually had to point out what partition to use with the drop down boxes. Not sure if I explained that good enough but if you have been through it a couple of times already you know what drop down boxes I am talking about.

Right now I am at a point of not knowing what distro I want to use. Right now upgrading Edgy to Fiesty with Kubuntu. After reading how well Mandy is doing it is giving me ideas on trying that. Also I am really interested in what Fedora is going to come out with. Man I hate linux!!!!! ( /me goes back to his Macbook) :lol2:

Right now I am at a point of not knowing what distro I want to use.

I won't suggest my Darling arch Linux, simply because this is not a distro for everyone, but Debian Εtch rocks! And, contrary to the decade-old Debian tradition, the new installer is still text based, but extremely easy to use, even for newbies (certainly easier than the also text-based 2000/XP insteller, and much faster too).

A Debian that everything is "just working" was a joke just months ago, but with Etch/4.0 this is a FACT. Hats off to the Debian crew for their amazing work.

Of course, by using Debian "stable" you are using the most conservative Linux available on planet earth (even Mandriva is more experimental!), but I cannot suggest anything in place.

Edited by scarecrow

Scarecrow I've used Arch before and it is a nice distro. I just don't want to mess around that much.

Debian Etch I did have installed on my gaming machine but thought I would give Fiesty a shot. After installing the nvidia drivers I could only get a 640x480 screen res. Not happy. Might go back to Etch here in a bit. lol

Debian Etch was a dream install. But like Mandriva it didn't like my wireless. It took me a while to get it configured and without Greg2's suggestion of changing channels in my router I probably never would have gotten it to work. The good thing (at least for me) is that you do a lot of command line stuff. So I was able to google for answers. The problem with trying to set it up and find solutions in Mandriva is that the posts I found said to use MCC and this didn't work for me. But it all worked out. Debian for the laptop, Mandriva and Gentoo on the desktop and after today I'll add Arch to that. Using different distros keeps it interesting for me.

Right now I am at a point of not knowing what distro I want to use. . . . . . .Man I hate linux!!!!! . . . . :lol2:

I was just thinking that the other day, I really like 2007.1, I think it's really nice, I think kubuntu is great, I downloaded Debian 4.0 because I wanted to try it out after reading all the good reports about it, I also want to check out Gnome again, so I though I would try Ubuntu again while I'm at it for that, there's just not enough hours in the day. I don't really like/want to dual boot, and I don't really want to be using multiple OS's (I have enough trouble with 1 :unsure: )

So I thought, . . . I will have to be upgrading soon, so I will use one of my 2 present machines as a testing/try out machine, and keep the other 2 with whatever flavour of Linux I choose to go with for the foreseeable future, which looks like it will be Mandriva, although Kubuntu is knocking loud, I just don't want to disturb either of my 2007.1 installations, or go through another install/setup at the moment.

Guess I best hurry up and build my new machine :P

hmmm, then comes another problem, I'm running out of room, I barely got enough for the 2 PC's I have now :blink:

If you could file a bug at http://qa.mandriva.com/ ... with the following information:

lspcidrake -v

monitor-edid --MonitorsDB

/etc/X11/xorg.conf - the one generated by Mandriva that gives you 640x480, and the one after you fixed it

/var/log/Xorg.0.log (ideally, again, both before and after fixing the issue)

we would almost certainly be able to fix it for future releases. Thanks :)

Thanks adamw. I'd be happy to provide all the infos, but I had a look at the bugzilla and saw one that sounds almost identical, and he's provided more technical guesses than I could: see here. I'm not sure what I can add to that apart from a "me too". However the good news is that before submitting a load of details I downloaded a fresh copy of One (previously I was using RC3) to make sure what I was submitting was still current. And with this fresh version XFdrake is able to fix things much more easily, and I didn't get anywhere near as puzzled during the process. It still defaults to 640x480 but getting to 1400x1050 is much easier. Let me know if I really should file a new bug report (that other one is still "new" since November), otherwise I'll just let it lie - no other live CD has ever been able to get 1400x1050 on this laptop so it's not tragic that One can't either - and as I said it's become much less painful to fix.

A quick note about Feisty, I was also curious to compare Spring with Feisty, although I got KDE versions of both to try out.

Just from first impressions, they both look great, although the fact that Feisty defaults to 1280x1024 is much better than Spring's 640x480. I also like Feisty's simple desktop, simple start menu, and the compact kicker icons on the taskbar. The Window theme is also stylish, perhaps a bit more "toyish" than Spring's but I do like to be able to resize windows by grabbing the top edge - this is default in Feisty but you have to change Spring's theme to get it.

Two areas where I thought that Kubuntu had the edge over Mandriva were the start menu and the program addition. Kubuntu had (and still has) a simple, not-too-deep start menu with which it's easy to find stuff. Mandriva's used to be horribly deep and complicated, but this has now been taken care of with Spring. Also if you've got a fresh install of Mandriva, you used to just have to know about easy-urpmi, otherwise you had no clue how to add software. Kubuntu again used to have a massive edge here by setting up the sources for you automatically, but now Spring's source selection tool swings things the other way - Mandriva really has an impressive amount of stuff in the repositories, and now that rpmdrake has recovered from its 2007.0 mishaps (broken signatures aside) it seems to offer lots more than Feisty's Adept. Even after adding the universe repositories to sources.list there's still lots of packages unavailable for Feisty.

Other more minor differences I've noticed - ftp works in Feisty but not in Spring (see separate thread about this), but the console autocomplete is over-beepy and not as helpful as Spring's - probably configurable somehow but very annoying in the meantime. Weirdest of all, in every live CD I've ever played with, my hard drives are always /dev/hda* where * is the number of the partition. So mounting my Mandriva partitions is dead easy - this is true for all Knoppixes, Mandrakes, Mandrivas, Elives, Xubuntus since I started playing. But with Kubuntu Feisty they don't appear there, instead I stumbled across them in /dev/disk/by-id. So instead of mounting

/dev/hda8

I have to mount

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1ATA_HTS548060M9AT00_MRLB55L4J87B0C-part8

instead. And there's equally cryptic stuff in /dev/disk/by-path and by-uuid. Also Feisty just locked up by (wired) network for me, I had to disconnect and connect to restore it.

I haven't played with them long enough for a real in-depth comparison, but they both seem impressive. For me I'm very pleasantly surprised with Spring and because I've only discovered one real niggle so far (the ftp clients hanging) that's tempting me away from joining the Feisty crowd.