DVD burning?

shengchieh

In Mandriva 2006, I could easily use k3b to burn DVDs. But in Mandriva 2007,

k3b is not even on the installation disk?! I know I have cdrecord

plus dvd+rw-tools-6-1-1mdk. Are there any GUI program that

burns DVDs in Mandriva 2007?

No, I couldn't install k3b. It complained about no X - possibly related to

the blank login screen problem I had earlier.

Sheng-Chieh

K3b is definitely in Mandriva 2007. If it isn't on the installation disk I'd be fairly surprised but in any case it's on the online repositories so you just have to go to "add software" and select it.

On the other hand, if you have no X, how are you going to run K3b even if you have it installed?

I agree with you about your comment about no X because I

tried compiling the source code (and I have no problem doing

that) and got that error.

Again, I suspect it's my video login screen error (see my other

post in install forum). Hence, I'm reverting back to Mandriva 2006

later this am.

Thank for your comment - a confirmation of my problem.

Sheng-Chieh

I agree with you about your comment about no X because I

tried compiling the source code (and I have no problem doing

that) and got that error.

Not a single chance in 1000 years to succeed doing that in Mandriva, unless you have xorg-devel, kdebase-devel, kdelibs-devel and "several" other *-devel packages installed.

Mandriva is designed for ease of use, and not for easy building of packages, especially if you have little experience on that sector.

In your particular case, it's pretty apparent that the error message appeared because xorg-devel package(s) were absent- and you could probably hit more of the kind while proceeding.

And I'm quite sure that you did not have to *build* K3B- all you had to do was using easyurpmi to set your repos and K3B was just one "urpmi k3b" away.

Edited by scarecrow

Thank for your comment - a confirmation of my problem.
Well, not really a confirmation. I had no idea you were trying to compile k3b because you never mentioned that. When you said you had no X, I assumed you really had no X. But you do have X, you just can't compile k3b (so saying "I have no problem doing that" wasn't quite true either).

So to answer your question - yes of course k3b is in 2007, and if you haven't already got it installed, you should be able to just add it as both I and scarecrow have mentioned. This should have nothing to do with your login problems, probably just that you haven't set up your repositories yet.

It's probably best to mark this problem as "solved" since it's not a hardware problem, it's not a DVD burning problem, and it's not a k3b problem, it seems it's just a compilation problem due to missing dependencies.

You are likely looking for K3B in every place but the correct one.

When you click Menu go to System and then to Archiving then to CD Burning and it will be there.

If it is not then it means that it wasn't installed but it is DEFINITELY on the install CDs or the DVD.

The only time any of us compile a package is if there is no rpm in Mandriva Repository.

Cheers. John.