Black Screen on Live Cd

Guest daevaofshadow

Guest daevaofshadow

I'm running a Dell Dimension 8300 with an ATI 9800 pro graphics card, and I can't seem to get mandriva to boot from the live cd. It loads everything (but slows down on the HAL daemon) before it says something about logging in to local host, showing a black screen and not responding. On the other computer I tried it on, this was where the nvidia splash came up, so I'm assuming it's having some sort of trouble loading my video card drivers. I've been trying to get it into an interactive boot, but it never seems to work.

Help?

welcome to the board!

is there anything else on this screen? perhaps a prompt like in DOS?

You're right to assume that it's probably a video card problem, but unfortunately with LiveCD's this is hard to fix because they are basically "uneditable" - so if it isn't loading the proper driver, it could be fun trying to get it to work :D

Guest daevaofshadow

I'm using the 2007 Spring One (KDE) live cd.

Before going to a completely black screen, it looks like it's going to load a command prompt (blinking white line at the top left hand corner), but then that disappears and the cd stops spinning in the drive. I'm assuming that the cd is locking either when it's trying to start the video card drivers or X.

Someone suggested that I try forcing it to use framebuffer as one of the boot arguments, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JF Koh

I seem to be having the exact same problem with the 2007 Spring One (KDE) live CD, and it seems to be hardware-related, possibly something to do with loading X. The md5 checksum is correct.

I started out by using the live CD to boot up and install Mandriva on an old 7-year-old box running an Intel Celeron chip. Everything worked and Mandriva is now running fine on the old box. Having gone through the installation process, I am thus familiar with the steps.

Then, I tried to do the same on a 2-year-old HP Compaq dc7100. This was when it stalled during the boot-up:

1. I pop in the Live CD into the DVD drive and it starts to boot up.

2. I get an orange colour splash screen, with the progress bar. If I press Escape at this point, I get the verbose progress report.

3. The orange splash screen is replaced by a blank screen with nothing but a blinking underscore in the upper left corner for 2 or 3 seconds. This is exactly as daevaofshadow has described.

4. The blinking underscore disappears and the screen goes completely blank, while the DVD drive light blinks for about 10 seconds. Then there is no more disk activity, and the whole system freezes, until I manually turn it off. I've waited for something to happen for up to 15 minutes.

Based on my previous successful installation, if the boot process didn't freeze at this point, an X-shaped mouse cursor is supposed to appear for 1 second in the middle of this black screen, followed by the return of the coloured background, with the language selection box.

I tried playing around with some boot options:

noapic

nolapic

noapic nolapic

acpi=off

None of these options worked.

When I tried installing the Gnome version instead of the KDE version, it had the same problem.

Here are my hardware details, which I hope will give some clues for our hardworking developers:

Computer model: HP Compaq dc7100 CMT

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz

Cache size: L1/L2 = 28/1024 Mhz

Ram: 512 Mb DDR / 400MHz / Single channel

Hard disk: SATA 0, 40Gb, Maxtor 6E040T0

DVD RW drive: IDE primary 0, Philips DVD 8631

CD drive: IDE primary 1, Samsung CD-ROM SC-148A

Main board: HP 929 REV / OH S26 with integrated sound and video (this is from opening the case and inspecting visually)

Video card: MSI D33A27 N136 (this is from opening the case and inspecting visually)

Today, I tried installing a different distro of Linux on this box by using Kubuntu, and it successfully installed and everything is working fine.

So the problem may have something to do with auto-detecting the hardware, which in my case may happen to be more eccentric than usual.

I have a feeling it's something to do with your SATA controller! I've seen this problem similar if not identical to what you are experiencing because of a SATA controller not being supported.

Guest Beretta
I have a feeling it's something to do with your SATA controller! I've seen this problem similar if not identical to what you are experiencing because of a SATA controller not being supported.
I'm having the exact dame problem.

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500

Mobo: Gigabyte GA7N400-L

All my hard drives are IDE, so no SATA devices in the system, and I get the same symptoms as described in the first post here. I'm using the same (ONE) version of Mandriva too. I'm using a Radeon 9600 video card, so I would have thought that this distro, being so recent, would have the drivers I need for that.

I'm left to just assume there's some unknown problem that makes this distro very hit and miss. It'll work on some systems, but on others - a very large number, so it seems via Google - it's just not equipped. It's a shame really, This was going to be my first introduction to Linux, and it looks like such a user friendly distro, when it works.

Edited by Beretta

Guest nepumuk

I have exactly the same behaviour when trying to boot using the KDE Live CD, after downloading from an American Mirror site.

Like Beretta my video card is a Radeon 9600. And I would like to believe that the large iso file I downloaded wasn't a waste of my monthly 5 Gig capping allowance.

I am new to Linux and would love to be able to get acquainted with this very popular operating system. So, I can't wait to find out what could be done to get the CD to boot Mandriva Spring 2007 successfully. Many thanks for all future efforts to help us!

I have exactly the same behaviour when trying to boot using the KDE Live CD, after downloading from an American Mirror site.

Like Beretta my video card is a Radeon 9600. And I would like to believe that the large iso file I downloaded wasn't a waste of my monthly 5 Gig capping allowance.

I am new to Linux and would love to be able to get acquainted with this very popular operating system. So, I can't wait to find out what could be done to get the CD to boot Mandriva Spring 2007 successfully. Many thanks for all future efforts to help us!

* Verify the md5sum of the downloaded iso file (use the search here on MUB with 'md5sum' if you don't know how)

* Make sure you burned the iso on **low** speed

If you still have problems.

When you see the first screen, you can hit a function key or ESC or something like that, it is explained on the screen.

Add this bootcode at the end to the so-called append line:

init 3

At the login prompt type: root

(and enter, no password is required)

Type: XFdrake

and hit enter, it is case sensitive!

You'll get a menu where you can configure your video card, your monitor and the resolution.

1. video card, driver, choose: vesa

2. monitor

3. resolution

Confirm.

Type: exit

(and hit enter)

Type: guest

(hit enter)

Type: startx

(hit enter)

Guest nepumuk

wow anna,

Your last post has been exactly what I needed.

Following your instructions fixed it - I'm in!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You are an ace! :)

• 8 months later...

I'm using "mandriva-linux-2008-one-KDE-cdrom-i586" and i had the same probleam...

I have a ATI 9600 to... so i guess the probleam is about the graphic card, cuz everyone have the ATI 9600

nepumuk can you tell me how you fix?

I read what chris:b said but i'm lost, where i do the login if my screen is black?!

Guest nepumuk

Hi ALL,

Unfortunately I don't really know what I would do in your case. In my scenario I did get a blinking cursor, so I was able to follow fixing instructions.

Perhaps someone else can advise as to how to at least get the cursor displayed, so you can follow the remaining instructions.

Perhaps you could just assume that the cursor is there and you follow the instructions blindly assuming you could see the text on the screen, then when having entered everything as instructed you might finally get something displayed on your screen and configure the rest.

I still had problems with Mandriva after this and ended up switching over to a different linux distribution. Guess my graphics card wasn't really the ideal match, also couldn't get my printer to work until the switch.

Hope you're having luck and find a solution.

All the best.

Andy

Hi ALL,

Tks for reply so fast ;)

Well i will wait for a new answer, i'm using other distro to, only want see how Mandriva is, cuz i hear some ppl talk very good about this distro, well lets wait B)

Tks again :)