2007.1 Install

Guest buzzz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The test rpmdrake suggested cleared the same little problem for me too, but I wasn't troubled by it so made no mention of it.

Adam do you have any ideas on the four points I mentioned in my previous post???. No drama if not.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I am pleased to say that an update for flightgear made available today has fixed the problem and it now appears to be working normally. Thanks Mandriva.

Has anyone got a solution to KMAIL not showing emails in correct date numerical order. These emails were copied across from another kmail and were in numerical order there. New emails are scattered throughout the list . Very annoying indeed.

The first three points are all still outstanding if anyone has some ideas there.

I now have only the clean install version as my main OS and it is mirrored to my second HD but no longer connected as a SATA Raid1 array.

Thanks in advance. John.

Never used Kmail but for sure there are options to sort by anything - sort by date/time received, sort by sender, sort by subject. Try clicking on the column headings (where it says "Date" or "Sent" or "Received" or whatever).

About copying to the flash stick, are you copying with Konqueror copy/paste? Have you tried using cp from the command line? Do you get an error message? Is the stick formatted as FAT32? And how big is the file you're trying to copy?

Thanks Neddie.

I have tried just about everything in KMAIL, even trying ideas that didn't really make much sense.

Regarding the usbflash stick. It is formatted as fat 32.

Yes am using konqueror and also the Devices (on the desktop).

The message that comes up says cannot write to /media/disk/mailbox/cur/1096262049......etc. This is obviously an email number and when option skip is selected it presents another number and so on. When completed I find that it has written about 6 of the possible 100 emails.

I tried also root cli and got the following...........[root@localhost john]# cp /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox /media/sdg1

cp: omitting directory `/home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox'

I got the same result doing it via my account and even when substituting system:/media/sdg1 in both modes.

The folder isn't very large and I easily write even a 500mb folder no troubles.

It is as though some email files have given themselves zero permissions to be copied. Naturally I have checked all permissions of the mail folder but nothing seems to make any difference.

Cheers. John.

A followup.

I reformatted the Flash Drive to ext3 and got the same results as when it was fat32. As root I set all permissions on the drive for everyone.

From account I then copied cur (from /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mai/inbox) to the drive and it ran without any message interruptions. Good so far but when i opened cur, only 1email can be seen. Yet during the paste run it said it was transferring 18.3mbs. When I clicked for properties of cur I saw 18.3mbs also and when I checked the original cur in mail it too was 18.3mbs.

Now keep in mind this is all done with konqueror set to show hidden folders since you cannot access mail unless you do.

I just this minute copied mail from /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail to the desktop and from there to the Flash Drive and it has done it correctly.

So it just will not copy from .kde correctly directly to the Flash Drive.

This is really weird.

Cheers. John.

Maybe it's maximum file size rather than maximum folder size? But that shouldn't be a problem if you really have reformatted as ext3.

Maybe it's maximum path length but again with ext3 that shouldn't be a problem either. Are you sure that copying the folder directly fails but copying exactly the same folder to your desktop and then from there to the drive works? That would be very very odd indeed.

About your command line attempt, if you don't give any extra flags then cp doesn't copy directories ("cp: omitting directory"). You can do a recursive copy with this

cp -rv /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox /media/sdg1/

The r makes it recursive, the v makes it verbose, and the / at the end of the sdg1/ is also important. I would also make a test text file in the same directory .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail and try copying that too. Also try to umount and mount the drive again to make sure everything's been flushed and finished.

This is really driving me nuts. Just on a whim I decided to give the copy /paste routine a run again from mail in /home/john/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/ directly to the flash drive and it worked correctly. Namely it was copied and pasted precisely. :wall: All the files are quite small and only about a dozen had attachments so I don't think that could have caused the problem. I didn't need to do a test text file, there were and are a number of straight text files in mail and these always copied across correctly. It was only the actual email files in cur of both inbox and of sent that wouldn't copy across.

And to think about the darned time I spent on this makes me want to scream especially since I cannot think of anything I have done to correct this.

I haven't installed any updates or anything. I have rebooted 3 or 4 times but I don't think that would fix it. But then :unsure: who can tell.

So for whatever reason that problem seems to be fixed, the two others remaining namely points1 and 2 still exist.

Thanks Neddie for so doggedly hanging in there for me. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

sorry, John, no real ideas on 1. or 2. Well, for 1. you might want to try a clean Firefox profile and see if that helps: move ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozillabak or something like that, then launch Firefox. You'll lose all your customizations to Firefox setup, but you can get 'em back by moving ~/.mozillabak back again. See if it crashes less. If so, then the problem lies in your firefox profile somewhere; you can either try and find it and eliminate it (tricky), go back to your profile and live with the crashes, or stick with the new profile and recreate all your configuration tweaks. You can copy some things - like bookmarks - across from the old profile safely.

I know they're not great options, but it's what came to mind. :\

I bought a new laptop and tried to install the 2007 spring edition. It only runs from the cd. I tried to do the live install but nothing happens. So I tried 2006 edition and got some hard drive error and IRQ errors. Probably new hardware that 2006 edition doesn't like. So if anyone knows how to get the live install to work that would be great!!!