2007.1 Install

Guest buzzz

Guest buzzz

Just installed 2007.1 from boot.iso. I have to say it really is working superbly.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded the beta of Corporate Desktop 4 which is based on 2007.1 and uses the same sources. Looks pretty damn slick and cool. Installation very quick also.

Has anyone using wireless broadband installed 2007.1 One yet? I'm curious to know (before I try it) if they've included ndiswrapper on the live version, so that I can use my Atheros card to get the full install.

Thanks.

I had a partition with 2006 installed that I thought I'd try doing an upgrade directly to 2007.1 using the install DVD.

Worked great. No install problems. Everything came up fine. I am very impressed with 2007.1.

There was no separate /home partition - /home was part of the root partition. As far as I can tell, all my stuff in /home was preserved (files, firefox config, bookmarks, etc).

I had some multimedia plf packages installed on 2006 and they were left intact. So I configured the plf sources for 2007.1 and installed the plf updates via urpmi. I was concerned whether video in Yahoo News, CNN, etc would work ok, and it did work fine.

After I configured all the urpmi sources, an update (from all sources, not just the update sources) installed a bunch of new packages - around 150! Are there that many new packages since the iso got created? I got the iso yesterday from the psu.edu site. (EDIT: Oops. Some of those updates were plf packages, maybe about 20, but it still seems like a lot of packages that are either updates or weren't installed via the DVD).

Now I need to check the .rpmnew config files against the original config files that were left in place.

Machine has an Athlon 2500 CPU, 2 gb DDR 400 memory, ATI 9200 video, and 2 SATA/150 drives. The 2 gb RAM was detected ok using the default kernel. An external eSATA drive is also detected ok.

Plugging in a USB pen drive results in a KDE Daemon dialog box popping up with default choices and the flash drive mounted to /media/disk - very nice!

I think I'm gonna really like this new 2007.1 distro.

Another fresh install on a different machine went uneventfully also.

EDIT: Also, there were left some old directories from 2006 that are no longer used, so I went ahead and deleted them. For example:

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.6

/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-1.0.7

I also checked for any remaining RPMs that had 2006 in the name, and deleted them after checking that it would cause no dependency problems.

Edited by jboy

My install was very smooth also. I've had problems in the past with the install complaining it couldn't find packages but that didn't happen this time. I had to enlarge my partitions and as usual DiskDrake did a great job of it. I still have to do my upgrades but will do that today. One thing I have to do is install nano. For a distro that is supposed to be user friendly I don't understand why the default is vi. Even though I know how to use I still prefer nano.