Dual boot with Windows can't suspend

I recently installed OpenSUSE 10.2 on my laptop dual-booted with XP Pro. I can't suspend in Windows now - it makes the screen all line-y like I'm having graphics glitches and sometimes restarts.

I'm thinking ACPI problem?

I have not encountered this problem with SuSE. My first impression is that it is a typical windows problem rather than anything related to SuSE. I can't think of any reason a boot loader would interfere with suspend. You could try restoring the mbr and see if that "fixes" the problem. But I think it is windows that has a problem.

Where does the suspend store the data? When you partitioned for Linux, did you inadvertently limit the space too much for suspend?

I also can't find any good reason the SuSe installation could affect windoze, but one: Touching the system clock.

Check your SuSE if it is using localtime or UTC. Dualboot systems should use localtime, and no NTP client software running- else when you switch OS'es some services may work unpredictably.

I have not encountered this problem with SuSE. My first impression is that it is a typical windows problem rather than anything related to SuSE. I can't think of any reason a boot loader would interfere with suspend. You could try restoring the mbr and see if that "fixes" the problem. But I think it is windows that has a problem.

Where does the suspend store the data? When you partitioned for Linux, did you inadvertently limit the space too much for suspend?

I had already partitioned the disk prior to installing OpenSUSE. It had 30GB for Windows, 15GB for storage, and I reserved 10GB for Linux. Suspend worked fine then (hibernate still works now though). I'm pretty sure Windows suspends directly to the hard drive and I know I have more than 1GB of open space on the Windows partition.

If I used the Windows disk to fix the mbr, I could reinstall the bootloader from the SUSE disk, right?

I also can't find any good reason the SuSe installation could affect windoze, but one: Touching the system clock.

Check your SuSE if it is using localtime or UTC. Dualboot systems should use localtime, and no NTP client software running- else when you switch OS'es some services may work unpredictably.

I can't think of any good reason why SUSE should be making my Windows install have problems with suspending either, but the problem only showed up after I installed it. And SUSE is set to local time, not UTC. I'm pretty sure the Windows install is as well.

Suspend to disk seems to work fine in SUSE (this is hibernating), but suspend to ram doesn't work at all. I don't know if that info helps, but there you go.