What next?

mystified

I get the same messages in mdv2007.1 re ipv4 and ipv6. Not sure what it's about.

For a different distro to try, I'd suggest slackware. It's much more command line/old school than most distros. The init configuration is more like BSD than linux. Also, most distros today seem to be based on either slackware, debian or RH so knowing the slack way can come in handy. Finally, nothing seems to run faster than slackware and that includes source based distros like gentoo.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you could look around www.tldp.org and see if nothing scratches your itch. I had quite some fun reading some of the articles there. But then again you probably know more than I do.

Let's see... BSD, Solaris, Haiku, ReactOS, Aros.

Feisty Fawn is coming out in a couple of days. And ehm... hmmm... oh, maybe create an encrypted partition on it?

Hmmm... I'm already out of ideas.

Well being a developer is out of the question since I don't know anything about coding. But I did get some good suggestions.

Then become a tester. Developers honestly *love* testers, and you'll learn a helluva lot working through problems and trying to fix them collaboratively. More than just installing another distro.

Give the latest arch linux release another shot, it's pretty sweet, and nowhere near as buggy as prior ones, we've been working hard to fix that, and we had some nasty changes in the past that were unavoidable. The new network scripts are rocketing along... and should be in testing sometime soon. They're simply awesome, better than any other distro's wireless setup.

If I had the money, i'd pay you to help test for Arch.... but the lottery win is a long way away.

Otherwise, BSD is awesome fun..... but the thing is, once you set them up, it 'just works' and becomes very boring :) -- Or at least, that's my experiences with Net, Open and FreeBSD.

My ideal 'distro' is FreeBSD, with pacman+makepkg for packaging........ oohh yeah. That would rock sooo much. It's still on the drawing boards :)

James

Then become a tester. Developers honestly *love* testers, and you'll learn a helluva lot working through problems and trying to fix them collaboratively. More than just installing another distro.

How would we go about doing that? I've got some spare time and there are machines sat around my office not even plugged in. Feel free to PM me about it.

How would we go about doing that? I've got some spare time and there are machines sat around my office not even plugged in. Feel free to PM me about it.

On Arch, install from the latest ISO, update, enable the testing repository, then just use the computer :). If you see interesting or relevant new projects or improvements mentioned on the arch-dev-public mailing list, give them a try. It's a fairly low traffic list.

And importantly, if you have problems with anything, file bugs, or contact the maintainer, and let them know you're willing to spend time testing things.

I'm developing new network scripts for example, and will soon put out a call, looking for some testers, particularly wireless users, to use them on a daily basis, and report back to me with any problems/fixes/suggestions.

On other distro's, the process would be similar, for mandriva, run cooker, file bugs. I'm sure, opensuse, fedora and other distros have similar processes available.

And to clarify the above, developers love *good* testers. Those who can report whatever details or follow the problem up, as many just file a bug with no information, and never respond to requests for information, leaving a bug hanging.

James

You could build your own from scratch or rebuild another distro with your own touch and tweaks.

....and call it Vampyrix

...or if it's an Ubuntu rebuild call it...

Vampuntu

Slogan; Linux for Vampires

Tested an approve by Dracula.

:lol2:

Okay...I'll just leave this thread alone :D

I installed slackware about 3 years ago when I was going through my distro ho'ing faze. If iirc correctly the install was fine although I had a problem with partitioning that I was able to work through. I didn't really mess with it after. I also had to install it in my linux certification course.

I don't want to run cooker in Mandriva. I did that one time and it borked my system. But I do like iphitus's idea about being a tester for arch. I'll look at installing it and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone. It's greatly appreciated!

Edit: iphitus, how would I get on the mailing list?

I second iphitus advice, mystified.

Don't bother with yet another distro. Help an existing one by joining and be a 'good' tester. They are gold worth, they are the most wanted people by developers. The biggest problem is that people are not verbose about bugs or just can't describe what they are doing. A good tester has to have some knowledge, is very clear about the process and willing to follow some steps by the developer when asked.

You learn a *lot* by being a tester, and it's awesome when you see how the bug gets solved.

And Arch seems to be a fine choice :-)

Arch has been my main distro of choice for a few years (I got iphy started with it when he was just a boy, thanks to a resident polar bear...I mean, sarah31). I used testing before, but never really found any bugs (then again, I only used certain packages from testing).