Acer Aspire 5100-5022

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 5100-5022 notebook with the AMD Turion 64x2 processor and ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 video chipset, and am looking for a Linux distro that will run on that machine. Will Mandriva 2007 run on this machine? Does Mandrive 2007 come with the drivers for the ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 chipset, or will I have to download and install them from somewhere? I've used Mandriva in the past, and loved it, and want to dual boot the new notebook with XP Media Edition and a Linux distro, preferrably Mandriva if possible.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Mandriva should run on that system without too much trouble. I would use the i586 version and not the 64-bit version, as 64-bit can come with it's own slew of problems.

As far as the ATI, you will have to install that separately if you are going to be using the download edition. If I recall correctly, the ATI drivers are available in RPM format through the plf-nonfree mirrors. You can set up one of these repositories by using the easy-urpmi tool. You may still need to do some configuring here and there after the install, but you should be able to get a usable system out of the box.

If you run into problems, though, let us know and we'll help you out.

To get your wireless working, you'll have to download the latest version of ndiswrapper (1.41) compile it and install it. If you need details, I'll post them.

I have run Mandriva 2007.0 RC2 and 2007.1 RC3 on a laptop from that series without problems. Everything works except for the webcam and the SD card reader, which is supposed to work in 2007.1. I have not tried the proprietary ATI driver, but the default driver worked with the 3D desktop (compiz/beryl).

• 3 months later...
Guest donkypich

hello i'm french (excuse me for my english) and i have the same laptop but me ,i haven't the 3Ddesktop so can you show me your xorg.conf

thank you

• 2 months later...
I have run Mandriva 2007.0 RC2 and 2007.1 RC3 on a laptop from that series without problems. Everything works except for the webcam and the SD card reader, which is supposed to work in 2007.1. I have not tried the proprietary ATI driver, but the default driver worked with the 3D desktop (compiz/beryl).

Is there a way to get the webcam working? Cos i got an Aspire 5100 with a built in webcam and it can't be detected by anything :|