Release of 2007.1 postponed for a few days

arctic

Mandriva has announced according to wobo from Mandrivauser.de that the release of 2007.1, which was expected to hit the mirrors at the end of last week, was officially postponed for a few days in order to fix some bugs which were deemed critical for the release. Thus the isos have to be rebuilt once again before we can all enjoy the new release. The iso images that were available already for early seeders (and those who were sneaky ;) ) are not the final iso images. The new iso images are expected to hit the mirrors anytime soon.

I was a little 'sneaky', and will download it again when it is finally released, however I wonder if what ever was wrong is going to turn around and bite me on the @$$, or will whatever it was be fixed by an update or whatever for those who have it installed already. If it would be best to do a reinstall with the fixed iso's once everything was final, then I wouldn't bother continuing installing games etc, and getting everything the way I want it, and just sit tight until then.

I'd like to know because I got last one before final and it works flawlessly. I may just continue using it until I find out what bug has been fixed and if its critical... B/c as of now my laptop is running better than ever :P

the bugfixes will probably be available as updates anyway. And if you're running it, it's probably not critical, not all bugs effect everyone.

James

awilliamson wrote

The problems only affects the ISOs. You don't have to worry about your installed system

http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=64424

So I guess if you got the Official 2007.1 from the early seeders/torrents, and installed it you should be OK? :unsure:

Edited by jagwah

I'd like to know because I got last one before final and it works flawlessly.

If its working flawlessly then why upgrade :D

seriously though, like iphitus says the changes will likely be available as updates anyway....

and most of the stuff should be available through cooker so .....

Overall though I'm more than happy to see a bit of extra QC from mandriva and I think it will stand them in good stead..... for old hands and mandriva fans a buggy release that is fixed is no major thing but for n00bies who try it (along with maybe 5 other distro's) they are likely to just stick with the 1st one works...

For once I say smart move by mandriva marketing.... I honesltly thought they'd never change but I'm wrong it seems but happy to be wrong!

In reality everyone wins IMHO.... those who can take a few bugs can use cooker or just explore parts that are new and those who want to wait for stability can... I think its especially important after 2006 and to some extent 2007.0 because .. well 2007 just didn't work for me....

I can't say I put much effort into it.... I installed it and the graphics card and a few niggles didn't work first time... I'm pretty certain I could have got it working.... but I just didn't see the point. (for me) with this extra QC going into 2007.1 it will probably encourage me to try it... wheras I wouldn't usually have bothered.. so that's at least one person ....

The only thing I have noticed is that, on my laptop, which I initially reported as a smooth upgrade, the Configure Your Computer disappeared. I searched and could not find a fix. So I installed the last iso, probably the one prior to the ones on the mirrors yesterday. I noticed nothing else wrong with the installation. Oh, ndiswrapper still works with Broadcom where thenew Linux driver does not, and you need to get version 1.41.

Oh, ndiswrapper still works with Broadcom where thenew Linux driver does not, and you need to get version 1.41.

I don't know how you can say it still works. It never worked reliably for me with two different versions of Mandriva.

I installed it a four days ago (using the ten megs boot.iso) on a VMWare 6 virtual machine (my regular Arch Linux as host). Most of the bugs of 2007.0 are gone for good, but IMHO the "new" and now polished urpmi is not worth the effort. It would be wiser for mandriva to ditch it and use either SPM (wasn't that the main reason they acquired Connectiva?), or apt/synaptic, "Tex-style" (yeah, I know... but sometimes you have to just swallow your pride and move forward).

As-it-is now, urpmi is an obstacle- both slow and not 100% reliable. It may be faster than yum, and more reliable than yast, but (always IMHO) it's an anachronism. After all, most Fedora users are currently using SPM, and most SuSE users synaptic- obviously for a good reason!

Scarecrow, the new and polished urmpi is the one that replacxed the new and polished urpmi that replaced the.....

I beta tested 9.0 and practically ALL the beta testers detested the new URMPI...

Mandrake said they "had" to change it so it could be rewritten in PERL ... noone ever said why that meant the core functionailty was cripped and split into seperate parts but....

Its been getting progressively worse IMHO since then... trying to do too much but spreading itself over too many menu's... you used to be able to add/remove from the same GUI... and do loads of useful stuff from the same place...

Urm, yeah.. why exactly did the aquire connectiva? I guess they just had to spend the money they are rolling in ? :wall: before they ended up using it on marketing and user interaction?

I guess I should say ndiswrapper works for me. :P But, the Mandriva rpm does not work. I had to get the latest version, compile it, and get it going from CLI prior to having a network.

I do not have a problem with urpmi, and after learning how to set it up, still have no problems with it. But, certainly Yast and Apt/ synaptic work, as does Gentoo's method. I don't really see a speed difference, but them most of my playing is among rpm style distros.

most Fedora users are currently using SPM
Beg your pardon? :huh: Where did you get that very inaccurate information? :blink: Almost all fedora users that I know use yum. And I am a regular in the channels and the fedoraforum and I know quite a lot of fedora users.