Network down

rohitsz

Greetings there,

This is little off topic.

I have had my Dlink wireless adsl router working fine with a notebook and a desktop.

I had posted of a recent slowed boot up process on mandriva(desktop) here:[https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40439]

So now, mandriva recognises my lan card, for the reason that when i do

ifup eth0

i get an error as follows:

Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present.  Check cable?

So i did as directed, i got the cables checked(three of them) and still i am unable to get the connection.

The NIC is DLink's DFE 530 TX+ RTL8139 based card and is seen in lspci output as well as mcc gui mode.

My wireless lan is working fine.

Also no lights are lit either on the nic's side or the router's side when i connect through the wire.

Kindly help me solve the problem.

thanks,

rohit

Have you checked if you get a connection if you plug in the cable at a different slot in the router? Maybe the router slot you try to use is dead or - the cable might be damaged. Also: is it a new cable or a used one? Sometimes not all cables work equally well (personal experience).

Realtek 8139's can suffer when IPV6 is enabled. Disable this by editing /etc/modprobe.conf and adding:

alias net-pf-10 off

reboot, and see if it's any better.

Also no lights are lit either on the nic's side or the router's side when i connect through the wire.

This is a physical-layer issue. (i.e., If there's no link light, there is a problem with the hardware. Period.) ;)

Please test the ethernet connection with a separate card/router and verify.

Guest Andrew

Hi, I get the same problem with my ethernet card. I have a National Semiconductor DP83815 (MacPhyter) card which works fine with other distributions, even older versions of Mandriva, but when I use Mandriva 2007.1 it doesn't work. The connection lights on the card and the router don't come on, even though the card is detected correctly and the hardware is all working (I'm actually using the same setup under Ubuntu to post this now). Does anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew, welcome aboard.

Open a root console and type in

lsmod

You see something like "macphy" being listed?

If not,

modprobe macphy

The card is well supported under Linux by National Semiconductor itself, and the driver is opensource, so I do not see why it shouldn't be present in Mandriva.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest Andrew

Thanks Scarecrow. I've had a bit more of a look into it, but I haven't been able to fix it yet. On both my working Ubuntu install and in Mandriva One 2007.1, lsmod shows the natsemi module, which is what I think the card uses. No macphy (or similar) module shows up in either system either loaded or unloaded.

I have watched the boot process, but I haven't worked out exactly when the lights on the card and switch go off. Just to make it clear, the lights come on when I turn the computer on, then go off soon after Mandriva starts to load, soon after the boot options section.

After looking at the Mandriva mailing list archives, I have found someone who had the same problem with Mandriva One RC2. The relevant thread is here. It references this bug (number 26203) in the Mandriva Bugzilla. It seems that the solution that they used was to install using Mandriva free rather than Mandriva one. I think that I'll try installing from free when I get a chance. As that might not be for a while, does anyone have any more ideas that I can try before that?

Thanks again, Andrew

Guest Andrew

Well, I've installed 2007.1 Free and my network card is working. It uses exactly the same settings that One did, but this time it works. Even though it's fixed, I'd still kind of like to know what's causing the problems in One. It all seems pretty weird to me.