Laptop Fan is blowing!

First of all, I am completely new to Mandriva, having given up all hope on Ubuntu. I am running Mandriva One on a Sony Vaio (PCG-GRT100) with 512 MB of RAM and a 2.0+ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor.

I am getting a message in Terminal that the CPU Temperature is above its threshold, which makes sense, since from the time the Operating System boots, the fan is blowing like there's no tomorrow, and the back and bottom of the machine are really hot.

Anyway that I can fix this?

Also, I have Desktop Effects (Compiz/XGL) enabled, but the fan was blowing like this before I enabled those effects, and, in fact, also blew like this when I was running Feisty Fawn and Open Suse.

Please help.

[moved from Hardware - arctic]

Welcome aboard. :)

I remember that I read several threads with Sony Vaios having heat problems with Linux. I don't know if this is simply an ACPI problem or a problem of th motherboard ntot working well with the linux kernel. I suggest you install lm_sensors and check the temperature of the cpu, just in order to be on the safe side. Check the temperatures reported in the BIOS, too. Maybe it is a false alarm. But it is more probable that it is really overheating. Disable the extra-desktop effects. They will only add to the heat problem. And remove any dust that might be reducing the airflow of the fan.

If you want to get really hardcore in reducing the temps inside your laptop, you might want to replace the thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink with Arctic Silver 5. I don't know how hardware savvy you are, but that's usually one of the first things I do with my computers. I don't know if it'll void your warranty though...

Otherwise, P4s, especially cramped in a laptop case, will have a tendency to run hot (well, any processor for that matter). You might want to try a cooling mat (something like this). I use the model I linked and it works pretty well in keeping my laptop cooler. In any case, make sure you keep the laptop away from mushy surfaces that'll block its vents (carpet, your pants, that sort of thing).

Hope that helps.

How old is your Laptop ???.

If it is a few years old it is possible, in fact likely, that it is clogged with dust.

It likely needs to be opened up and given a good clean out.

Also as Scythe says it would be a good move to use the product he suggests.

Most manufacturers seem to use a heat transfer tape but after a peroid it can become less effective.

Recap:- clean it out and use the silver paste.

I use the silver as well and have never had a problem with it.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I am fairly new to Linux and completely new to Mandriva. I primarily use Ubuntu and Xubuntu. So when you say install im-sensors, what do you mean? How do I do that? In Ubuntu, there was something called Synaptic, which allowed you to search for software. Does Mandriva have something similar?

In terms of taking the laptop apart, cleaning the vents and applying some magical paste — well, I have little experience opening up laptops, but I am not concerned about a warranty. So with some good instructions, I am sure I could figure this out. Can you point me in the right direction? Are their any guidelines online?

Also, how much does the magic paste cost? Where can I buy it?

Thanks again for all the responses. I am really pleased with Mandriva so far — I could not believe how easy the setup was in comparison to Ubuntu 6.10 (I was under the impression Ubuntu was the gold standard in terms of Linux distros — guess I was wrong)

About lm_sensors: lm_sensors (and e.g. gkrellm) are some apps that collect information from your computer and put them into an easily readable format. They allow you to monitor e.g. the temperature of the harddrive or the CPU.

If you haven't done so yet, go to this site: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

EasyURPMI is a site that allows you to set up online software mirrors from where you can download and install software in a fast and efficient way (Read this thread on how to use it: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=40552&hl= ). Apply updates to your system and install the "lm_sensors" package (it is LM, not IM sensors) and perhaps gkrellm (nice tool). Let's hope that the sensors are capable of reading the temperature of your system. Report back the temperatures you get, if it works.

About Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste: It costs around 10 dollars and can sink the temp of your processor by 12 degrees Celsius. Instructions on how to use it are available as PDF here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Ubuntu has excellent PR activity, something Mandriva seems to be very poor at. Fortunately a couple of Mandriva staff seem to be doing their damnedst to turn that around and because of their great efforts we all hope it comes to fruit.

Have a chat with your nearest computer service centre. Who knows, for a small fee they might just tell you how to open it up to clean it out.

The website that Arctic has given you for the silver paste also has a list of resellers so it should be easy to obtain. Just a small note.....use it sparingly because excess is just a waste of the material. When you replace the CPU or remove it for any reason, be sure to clean off any original silver and use a fresh coating. Clean using pure alcohol or methylated spirits only....nothing else since anything else will leave a residual on the surfaces. The same applys to cleaning anything on the inside of the box or laptop.

Cheers. John.

I know this will be different for your laptop, but I wrote a guide for cleaning and adding thermal paste on my model of laptop. Maybe you can adapt this to your model? Once you get it open it should all look similar. The big part will be figuring out how to access your CPU.

You can get AS5 from most online computer stores. I'd use Newegg, since they've got the best service and price that I've found. You only need the 3.5 gram bottle since you're probably not going to use this on many chips.

General thermal paste in a bottle is unlikely to be anywhere near as ideal as the silver paste which comes in a minature syringe packaging.

Don't use the cheap stuff if you value your cpu, because in the long run it just isn't worth it.

Cheers. John.