KDE does not allow root log in

Rik

When I ran Madriva 2006 with KDE I could log in as a user or as root.

Since I upgraded to 2007, I can no longer log in as root. I get a dialog about not having permission to do that.

What do I need to do in order to log in as root with the KDE gui?

When I ran Madriva 2006 with KDE I could log in as a user or as root.

Since I upgraded to 2007, I can no longer log in as root. I get a dialog about not having permission to do that.

What do I need to do in order to log in as root with the KDE gui?

its only 3 letters need changing in a config file and if you can't work out how to do it Im certainly not going to tell you. Its that way for a reason.... but by the time most people actually work it out most people realise its not such a great idea...

Chance is if you do this you'll be back here very soon sabving how your system is borked....unless you know what your doing and by definition you don't or you'd know how to enable it....

Sorry sounds rude.... but Ill help you (and lots of others will) to help you achive what you need...

really we will..... but when that involves the linux equivalent of juggling with knives we get squeamish....

If you google search kdm root login you will find the answer eventually after finding lots of forums with threads like this.... please just take a second and think WHY

p.s.

Incidentally its not actually mandriva who made this choice for you but KDE...

p.p.s. there is nothing you need to login to the GUI as root for ... I and many others will be here to help you achieve those....and hopefully you'll come to realise its better not to...

we should make this a FAQ....

Actually there is perhaps 1 reason to do this.... and that is real time recording ....

If you need to edit files, move them etc. then check out how to use konqueror as root and also a neat program called krusader which is similar but has a on/off root functionality....

You can make yourself a link or menu item to start konqueror from root.... (or text editrs etc.)

kdesu konqueror (will start konq as root) ((((BE CAREFUL)))))

kdesu kate ... yep you got it will start the kate editor as root....

also if your running konqueror as root and then you select a file and an action that action will be performed as root.

its only 3 letters need changing in a config file and if you can't work out how to do it Im certainly not going to tell you. Its that way for a reason.... but by the time most people actually work it out most people realise its not such a great idea...

Chance is if you do this you'll be back here very soon sabving how your system is borked....unless you know what your doing and by definition you don't or you'd know how to enable it....

Sorry sounds rude.... but Ill help you (and lots of others will) to help you achive what you need...

really we will..... but when that involves the linux equivalent of juggling with knives we get squeamish....

If you google search kdm root login you will find the answer eventually after finding lots of forums with threads like this.... please just take a second and think WHY

Whilst I strongly agree that users logging in as root is a bad idea, everyone should have the opportuninty to find out why for themselves.

To be refused information on the basis that it's for their own good smacks of nannying.

The user has already logged in before as root using the gui.

So what if he/she ends up back here asking for advice when things have gone wrong, isn't that what this forum is all about?

If you're not willing to divulge the info requested, why send the user to google for the answer? That makes no sense when you already have the answer.

You issued the warning and outlined the reasons why using the root login is a bad idea. Nobody sets out to deliberately break their system (unless for testing purposes), but breaking, fixing and being surrounded by a font of knowledge to assist you when you fall down is one of the reasons why Linux is such a great op/sys to run.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Open a text editor (kwrite or whatever your favorite is) in root mode. If you don't have an icon for that, go to the main KDE menu button (usually at the far left end of the task bar) and select "Run Command" or equivalent. Type the name of the text editor you want to use in the "Command" box, then click the "Options" button. Select "Run as a different user" and type "root" into the Username box. Type the root password into the Password box and click "Run."

When the text editor appears, open the file, "/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc" and search for the line for the command, "AllowRootLogin."

Change "false" to "true" and save.

Just logging out should be enough for the changes to take place, but if it doesn't you may have to restart the X server (ctrl-alt-backspace) or reboot.

You will now be permitted to login as root. ;)

PS: It is not recommended to login as root in a graphical environment. But the answer should be give nonetheless. As always: use at your own risk.

I did figure out that if I log in via console as root, then run KDE, I am then in KDE as root, so that is good enough for my occasional desire to do that.

I thought something might be misconfigured in my KDE since I had the capability in 2006 and didn't after upgrading to 2007.

I do agree that it is probably a good idea that it is restricted. At least it makes me slow down and think about what I am about to do.

Open a text editor (kwrite or whatever your favorite is) in root mode. If you don't have an icon for that, go to the main KDE menu button (usually at the far left end of the task bar) and select "Run Command" or equivalent. Type the name of the text editor you want to use in the "Command" box, then click the "Options" button. Select "Run as a different user" and type "root" into the Username box. Type the root password into the Password box and click "Run."

When the text editor appears, open the file, "/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc" and search for the line for the command, "AllowRootLogin."

Just logging out should be enough for the changes to take place, but if it doesn't you may have to restart the X server (ctrl-alt-backspace) or reboot.

It already says:

"AllowRootLogin=true"

I think I found that tip when I first discovered this, but it didn't seem to work. I left the file edited with true.

But I am glad to know about that trick for launching Kwrite in root mode. That will take care of many of my reasons for wanting to switch to rrot, it is to edit such restricted files using a GUI editor.

Edited by Rik

So what if he/she ends up back here asking for advice when things have gone wrong, isn't that what this forum is all about?

If you're not willing to divulge the info requested, why send the user to google for the answer? That makes no sense when you already have the answer.

{BBI}Nexus{BBI}, your free to divulge the info, I'm just not doing it....

If someone googles the answer (its on this board) between now and fionding it they will find proably 50 posts and stuff telling them not to....

At the end of the day, if someone unknowingly logs in as root and breaks something I'l spend my time helping them, if they are told its a bad idea then actually search and do it anyway I don't see why I should help them....though nooone will stop you helping them....

I guess its many things to different people.... its about people helping others.... if that person chooses to deliberatly wreck their system then I am allowed to choose not to help them....

In a similar way I don't help anyone that uses the Mandriva network wizards because I wasted to much time and effort helping people who use it...if they choose to use them then someone else can help them but it won't be me.

If a user asks a question that requires mutliple quotes to answer.... I don't answer it... end of story because the board management has decided to limit the number of quotes.... not my problem.

If the board could be bothered to give non mods a decent upload limit for files I would answer several other questions that require diagrams BUT I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain something in 1000 words that could be explained in a simple diagram....like networking diagrams.

But finally at the end of the day the question is already asked and answered at least 10 times on this board....

If the original poster can't be bothered to find it then why should I ???

I did figure out that if I log in via console as root, then run KDE, I am then in KDE as root, so that is good enough for my occasional desire to do that.

I thought something might be misconfigured in my KDE since I had the capability in 2006 and didn't after upgrading to 2007.

I do agree that it is probably a good idea that it is restricted. At least it makes me slow down and think about what I am about to do.

It already says:

"AllowRootLogin=true"

I think I found that tip when I first discovered this, but it didn't seem to work. I left the file edited with true.

But I am glad to know about that trick for launching Kwrite in root mode. That will take care of many of my reasons for wanting to switch to rrot, it is to edit such restricted files using a GUI editor.

Also as I sad earlier

also if your running konqueror as root and then you select a file and an action that action will be performed as root.

But seriously check out krusader ... it allows all of this from within a simple interface whci allows you to switch to/from root mode....

if that person chooses to deliberatly wreck their system then I am allowed to choose not to help them....
Voicing your concerns is okay (and understandable), but if you are not willing to help a user/tell them the trick in order to log into KDE as root, then (no offense intended) you probably should not answer to the thread (as some people could get upset). ;)

JMHO

Above, I said it already says "AllowRootLogin=true".

I copied and pasted that text right from the file.

However, I went back and looked at the file again after posting that, and then it was set to false!

I have no explanation.

However, I did edit it to true, and now I can log in via the KDE log in as root.

However, once I am in as root, if I try to end the session and log back in as a user, it will not log in and returns me to the KDE log in.

If I log in via console as a user, then launch KDE, I am back in as the user.

It seems the added self-protection has made the changing user process more cumbersome. In fact my recollection is that the older version had a choice when ending the session, to relaunch as a new user. I no longer have a choice. Only button on the end session splash screen is to end current session.

Anyway, I can do what I want to do, it is just more of an effort than it used to be.

if that person chooses to deliberatly wreck their system then I am allowed to choose not to help them....
Voicing your concerns is okay (and understandable), but if you are not willing to help a user/tell them the trick in order to log into KDE as root, then (no offense intended) you probably should not answer to the thread (as some people could get upset). ;)

JMHO

Arctic, at least by posting for them to search for the answer it gives them the chance to see 50 other questions and 50 other threads (on different boards as well) where they realise its not just one person saying its a bad idea....

Quite a few of the users here delight in just posting the info without any warning at all or even saying that its not a silly thing to do.... of course the same users mainly found it on some post somewhere and ignored the warnings and are incapable of helping the person who uses it!

basically if the firstr person to answer just gives them the answer but warns them theres probably a 50/50 chance or greater they just do it and never really consider...

If the first person to answer just tells them HOW to do it... they probably have a 90%+ chance of just doing it....

If the first person says the answer is there if you search but read the google results there is a pretty better than 50% chance they soon realise its not generally a good idea :D

There are no stupid questions :D but there are plenty of times the user is asking the wrong ones :D

I'm also a big supporter they shouldn't just take my word (or even yours) for it.... and a quick search can't really take that long .. but at least then they see a lot of opinions... whereas if

I just post.. here's the answer but don't use it????

{BBI}Nexus{BBI}, your free to divulge the info, I'm just not doing it....

If someone googles the answer (its on this board) between now and fionding it they will find proably 50 posts and stuff telling them not to....

At the end of the day, if someone unknowingly logs in as root and breaks something I'l spend my time helping them, if they are told its a bad idea then actually search and do it anyway I don't see why I should help them....though nooone will stop you helping them....

I guess its many things to different people.... its about people helping others.... if that person chooses to deliberatly wreck their system then I am allowed to choose not to help them....

In a similar way I don't help anyone that uses the Mandriva network wizards because I wasted to much time and effort helping people who use it...if they choose to use them then someone else can help them but it won't be me.

If a user asks a question that requires mutliple quotes to answer.... I don't answer it... end of story because the board management has decided to limit the number of quotes.... not my problem.

If the board could be bothered to give non mods a decent upload limit for files I would answer several other questions that require diagrams BUT I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain something in 1000 words that could be explained in a simple diagram....like networking diagrams.

But finally at the end of the day the question is already asked and answered at least 10 times on this board....

If the original poster can't be bothered to find it then why should I ???

It already says:

"AllowRootLogin=true"

Also as I sad earlier

But seriously check out krusader ... it allows all of this from within a simple interface whci allows you to switch to/from root mode....

A typically agressive reply and I'm not going to bother responding to each point, however I do agree that to answer or not is completely your choice, like wise as artic says, if you're not going to provide the answer to the question asked, then don't respond to the thread.

Okay, now let's all relax and stick to the topic again. ;)

PS: If the file gets changed again and again, then you could hard-lock it (the command for this is "chattr". Read the manpage first). It is a rather brutal way of making sure that you get the result that you want, but it works.

A typically agressive reply and I'm not going to bother responding to each point, however I do agree that to answer or not is completely your choice, like wise as artic says, if you're not going to provide the answer to the question asked, then don't respond to the thread.

That's agressive?

And you don't have any right to tell me I can't reply...

I don't need to read your reply to this.. there's this neat feature when I can block any pm's you try to send me and not have to read the bullshit ....it just tells me you posted something and I don't have to read it... how cool is that....

Meanwhile start reading so you can start helping the users who's systems you wreck...

Edited by Gowator

That's agressive?

And you don't have any right to tell me I can't reply...

I don't need to read your reply to this.. there's this neat feature when I can block any pm's you try to send me and not have to read the bullshit ....it just tells me you posted something and I don't have to read it... how cool is that....

Meanwhile start reading so you can start helping the users who's systems you wreck...

LOL :wall: