Possible to add KDE to Gnome install?

misfitpierce

Ok when I ran ubuntu awhile ago I had it where I could choose to start up KDE or Gnome from session manager at login prompt. Is it possible to add KDE to mandriva install like that as well?

yes, just install kdebase for a minimal kde package or task-kde for the full kde desktop

You can run dozens of windowmanagers/desktop environments in most linux distributions without a problem. Before I settled on Gnome, I had KDE, Gnome, IceWM, fluxbox, windowmaker, enlightenment, xfce, fvwm and twm installed. All of them showed up in kdm and gdm.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I'm kde centric I would like to try Gnome with Mandriva as I have only tried it with Ubuntu so far. Just out of curiosity.

I have a question though. In Ubuntu when I installed the kubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu the menu's were crowded with kde applications in the Gnome session and the other way around in kde sessions. Luckily I used aptitude to install, so it was easy to remove kubuntu-desktop and do a clean kde install instead.

If I add "task-gnome" to Mandriva will I get the same problem with lots of gnome entries in Kmenu again? If want to remove "task-gnome" will it be able to remove all dependencies and installed files again e.g. by doing a "urpme task-gnome"? I'd hate to clean up all the Gnome files "manually".

I guess I could install gnome-base-minimal but I'd like to try the "full" Mandriva Gnome desktop.

Edited by opvask

Yes, it's a trait of all distros. Each menu will show Gnome/KDE apps regardless of whether you are logged into KDE or Gnome.

That's why I prefer seperate partitions. I do not have a spare partition though because I'm testing out a couple of distro's like: Sabayon (wanted to try something Gentoo based) and "Freespire" (out of curiosity).

But the question then is - If I remove task-gnome will it remove everything installed by "urpmi task-gnome" and get me back to my normal beloved KDE as it was before the install? I mean, task-gnome will install quite many files and I'd like to be able to remove them easily. I enjoy this with "aptitude" in Kubuntu, but I'm not sure urpme or the "software installer" can do this?

Or perhaps something like this could be a solution for keeping things organized:

For kde (Kmenu Gnome): http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/K...9?content=31025

For Gnome (Gnome menu extended): http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php...f4806cf8be91b1e

It does say this though:

K Menu Gnome does not integrate well with the menus of heavily customized distributions such as Mandriva, SUSE, or UHU-Linux.
Edited by opvask

• 2 years later...

I know this is old, but should still apply.

I just installed kdebase-4.2.4 to my Mandriva Gnome install. Almost none of the base KDE Apps shown up in Gnome Menu. I have to use the run tool. I am looking for Kcontrol to change the look of the few KDE apps I want to run in Gnome. I can't find it. I thought it was called Kcontrol.

EDIT: For anyone looking kcontrol is now "systemsettings".

Edited by rldev

The proper way to install a minimal KDE setup is to install “task-kde4-minimalâ€, not simply “kde-baseâ€. For a lists of tasks available, run this command in a console window :

urpmq -y task | grep '^task-'

Yves.