why is sound on ubuntu better?

prost

I used Ubuntu/Kubuntu before Mandriva and with my soundcard (SB LIVE) there's absolutely no difference.

Sound works great in Mandriva for me.

Like mentioned above you need to give a little more detail about the problem for people to help you.

It is not... the soundcard drivers are the same, and AFAIK neither the standard Ubuntu/Debian kernels, nor the stock Mandriva ones use any steroids (low latency patches).

I guess it is just the well-known placebo effect, and that is that.

You could possibly hear some real difference by using a mm-kernel, but even with that one the difference is apparent when using a dedicated sound application that requires low latency (jack, rosegarden, and that sort of stuff). For playing back CD's and MP3, there should be absolutely no difference.

This is a long shot, but with everything else being equal, perhaps the volume settings on both distros are different... you might want to check your mixer settings.

What kind of sound card do you have anyway?

Edited by Darkelve

If using Kmix then make sure that Master AND PCM are set to about 80%

Over a long time I have found this to be necesary for good reproduction in Mandriva. It probably just happens that Ubuntu and Knoppix has made such settings by default so you were lucky.

As Scarecrow rightly said "the drivers are the same" so it can only be the mixer settings.

Cheers. John.