Mandriva 2007 freezes at boot

TheCrizu

Hi!

Couple of days ago,i upgraded my mandriva 2006 to 2007,and everything went rather smoothly,but there is this one problem that still remains:

-at boot,right after 'setting hostname localhost [ OK ]'

my computer freezes,sometimes.i would say 1 out of 7 boots will do this.when it is not hanging up,it will give this message,right after that abovementioned 'OK':

'udevd-event [1195]: wait_for_sysfs: waiting for: '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/bus/ failed'

it is the same message every time,only that udevd number changes.

It did this right after installation,when i booted for the first time.I had installed all updates available,no change.

Nothing correspondending to this is not seen anywhere in logs,not even this message.I had to scroll-lock while booting to write it up.

My hardware is not changed since the mandriva 2006.

Well,any ideas are welcome.

Thank you

My guess is driver problem? But that wouldn't make too much sense if it worked fine in 2006.

Is clean install an option? I usually prefer to do it when upgrading OSes just so I know where I'm at. 'Course, I know how annoying it is to reset all your personal preferences every time you install ;)

Did you upgrade from 2006, or did you do a clean installation of 2007?

Sometimes upgrades can be problematic, and maybe not all your packages have been upgraded properly.

If you did do the upgrade, how did you do the upgrade exactly?

This is a problem/bug that never got resolved in 2007.0. I myself had this very same problem unitl I moved a usb device connection to a creative webcam from the onboard usb ports to a four port expander. purely by chance I must admit, and never had the problem again. To check the possibility of a usb problem/conflict remove any usb devices one by one and see if the problem gets resolved. If you have a device that uses the OV511 driver, start with that one. There are many posts on this forum about your problem.

This is a problem/bug that never got resolved in 2007.0. I myself had this very same problem unitl I moved a usb device connection to a creative webcam from the onboard usb ports to a four port expander. purely by chance I must admit, and never had the problem again. To check the possibility of a usb problem/conflict remove any usb devices one by one and see if the problem gets resolved. If you have a device that uses the OV511 driver, start with that one. There are many posts on this forum about your problem.

Indeed it is a problem with USB and it never got resolved in 2007.0 for the stock kernels, it did get resolved for the 2007.0 multimedia-kernels (it's in contrib) and in the stock-kernels 2007.1

Thank you, problem solved! It was my logitech dual action gamepad,when i disconnected it,the error were gone.

And,by the way,that 'upgrade' was careless use of words from me,i always clean install,when i "Upgrade".

It tooks a week to fine tune,but i can do it faster every time.... :D