Cedega 6.0 is out!

Well, your opinion is appreciated. Are you using 6.0 already?

I unsubscribed from Transgaming sometime last year. I had Windows installed in a spare partition and I figured - why pay to make a Windows game work in Linux when I have Windows? I was just playing WoW at the time, just one game.... rather just boot into Windows to play and save my self the bother. Besides, I mostly used to play on my Mac anyway.

That's become my general approach. I don't have much time these days to tinker with Linux and make things work. So much so that it's been months since I last booted into Linux at all :sad: I have a Linux server I use for stuff and ssh into that every day, but desktop Linux is a non-entity with me right now.

So when I do have time to play games (last time was over a month ago) I want them to just work.

That said, Cedega has always been an awesome project and I would recommend it to any serious gamers. I do agree with you though that Wine is worthy of attention. Until WINE has better gaming support, however, Cedega is good for people who want to get up and running quickly.

Yes, I do know wat you mean. But I don't like the rebooting into Windows and I don't like the feeling that Windows has a "stranglehold" on me.

I do think that Cedega has merit, unfortunately the sort of games I play seem to be the ones that get the least amount of attention ("older" games, adventure games, all of them single-player ones).

Wine has, I believe somewhere between 3 and 5 people actively working on DirectX technology and they are doing a very good job IMO. I test Dreamfall and some other games with every releases, and almost everytime I notice an improvement somewhere. Sometimes there are regressions but this is normal. Their goal is not to support a particular application, but to run the broadest variety of win32 applications. IMO it's very possible that the Wine project will have surpassed Cedega in about a year from now, except where it concerns the support of very specific titles. Probably Cedega will always find its niche there I guess.

But like you, I can be pragmatic too. I ordered the Prince of Persia triple pack from an online site for €15 , and they won't run on Wine because multithreading is not supported yet in Wine. So this means rebooting in Windows again. Maybe someday I'll just get a game console... but then again, some of the titles I reall like (e.g. a lot of adventure games) aren't available for consoles. I guess I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed the new Cedega and, for the first time ever, am able to run Warcraft III. One thing though: When I try to connect to b-net it hangs forever. Single-player works fine.

War3 + TFT runs fine for me on regular wine, or at least, last time i tried :)

Warcraft 3 was the first game that was fully supported by WineX (now Cedega) IIRC. The Battle Net stuff should also work well, might be a connection problem elsewhere (firewall?).

You could try running it in WINE and see if you get the same problem. WINE is coming along nicely on the gaming front.

It connect fine on a Windows partition, so if it's a firewall issue it has to be in Linuxland. Is there a way I can check to see if this is the problem?

Turn off the firewall in the MCC and see if it works. Then you can work on which port to open up.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed and played WoW under vanilla wine. I have to tweak a few things but it works well - playable. In windows Ill get around 30fps and in wine around 15-23fps.

Think I would get a boost if I went to Cedega?

Can always do the subscribe get the copy - install then cancel again.

I installed and played WoW under vanilla wine. I have to tweak a few things but it works well - playable. In windows Ill get around 30fps and in wine around 15-23fps.

Think I would get a boost if I went to Cedega?

Can always do the subscribe get the copy - install then cancel again.

I used to get pretty much the same performance in Cedega as what I would get in Windows on the same box. Although it did vary from game to game. WoW was really good on the fps side, but I got some tearing and other graphical weirdness. HL2 was pretty much identical to the Windows experience.

WoW runs fine for me under Cedega. It's WC3 I can't get to run. I'll try it under Wine when I get home tonight.

Incidentally, Lego Designer runs great under Wine...my new addiction.

I'm champing at the bit for StarCraft 2. I hope Wine/Cedega will support it. I can tell a game is going to be awesome if my wife rolls her eyes when she sees the trailer.