Cedega 6.0 is out!

Ubuntu Gamers Arena - News Section

TransGaming’s Cedega brings the thrill of blockbuster video gaming to the Linux operating system. Cedega enables Linux gamers to play Windows titles on their Linux OS of choice. Triple-A video games such as Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Battlefield 2142, World of WarCraft, Madden 2007, Civilization IV and many more, can be played on Linux using Cedega. An easy, out-of-the-box gaming experience is at your fingertips.

hmmm......... 2142!!! Now if I could get Nascar Racing 03 working decent I would be good to go. Other hang up with Linux gaming for me is TeamSpeak and jumping through hoops. Got that handles with just running TS on the Macbook and gaming with the pc.

I'm still waiting on Everquest 2 support...but I don't think we'll see that anytime soon.

Have you voted for it? Transgaming really do follow the community on what games to support. But being the astute fellow that you are, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that :P

I remember in the old WineX days there were countless arguments here and elsewhere about whether or not the project (now called Cedega) did more good or harm to Linux gaming. I don't want to strike it up again, but I think Cedega is awesome.

"Have you voted for it? Transgaming really do follow the community on what games to support. But being the astute fellow that you are, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that :P"

Only people who actuall pay are allowed to vote. Me, I just mess around with Wine while eying Cedega. In fact I'm going to give regression testing a shot this weekend (I actually don't know what I am doing but I hope it will work out anyway... :P Git, here I come).

"I remember in the old WineX days there were countless arguments here and elsewhere about whether or not the project (now called Cedega) did more good or harm to Linux gaming. I don't want to strike it up again, but I think Cedega is awesome."

Well, your opinion is appreciated. Are you using 6.0 already?

Myself, I think it is very importand that as many people as possible get behind Wine, because they care about getting the building blocks "right". The goal of both projects is just different. Then again most of the Cedega crowd (I mean, the users of Cedega) wouldn't have helped out with Wine anyway. In other words I still have no clear opinion on it but I don't really care as long as everyone's happy.

If I ever get Cedega (for the purpose of playing games... like Oblivion, Prince of Persia, Dreamfall, etc. etc.), I'll probably still try to help out with Wine (for the purpose of making Wine better, and therefore making using Linux more comfortable). One thing putting me off Cedega a bit is their focus on online games... I play none, I prefer single-player. And those don't always seem to get the same kind of attention.

I'm still waiting on Everquest 2 support...but I don't think we'll see that anytime soon.

Have you voted for it? Transgaming really do follow the community on what games to support. But being the astute fellow that you are, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that :P

I remember in the old WineX days there were countless arguments here and elsewhere about whether or not the project (now called Cedega) did more good or harm to Linux gaming. I don't want to strike it up again, but I think Cedega is awesome.

Edited by Darkelve

My friend has Cedega 6.0 - I'll have him test Oblivion out. He showed me Red Orchestra last night, via Steam under Cedega, and it was pretty impressive how well it ran.

Have you voted for it? Transgaming really do follow the community on what games to support. But being the astute fellow that you are, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that
I haven't paid for Cedega in a while, so no I haven't recently voted for EQ2 support. I did some time ago, but one thing I do remember was how long it took us to get them to support the original Everquest. In fact, I posted a long comment regarding Everquest support back in the day, laying out how many EQ players there are, that many of them prefer Linux, that not everyone who would be interested pays for Cedega or bothers to vote, and that in the end supporting the big MMO's would definitely be a positive business move as it would boost sales of their product to these huge, devoted audiences.

Before that time, no MMO's were supported. A month or two later, Everquest got support, and as we know now, many other MMO's have since been added to that list. I'm not going to say I had anything to do with that, but when they initially announced there intent to support Everquest a lot of the reasons they gave either echoed or seemed to be in direct response to some of the points I had made.

My point being, voting doesn't always help. There are other technological challenges. Everquest 2 is still one of the most advanced and resource-taxing MMO's in existence, due largely to is complex yet beautiful graphics. People who can run Oblivion at full settings still can't run EQ2 maxed out - it grinds frame rates to a screeching halt. That's intended, because it makes the engine extremely versatile and able to push the envelope for years to come. It was a lesson learned in EQ1, when a few years after launch they did a complete overhaul of the graphics engine with one of the updates (Shadows of Luclin). This time around they made the engine so complex and powerful that they knew it wouldn't be able to run maxed out - even on the best systems - for years to come. It gives the product a longer life.

But I digress...I seem to have gotten a bit gowatorial there. The point being, it's likely that Cedega would like to support it, but there are huge hurdles to be overcome. A few of them were cleared in 6.0, I believe, such as the new support for pixel shader ver. 2.0. That, and supporting any MMO can be a real pain for them, with the constant updates and changes.

How does it compare to gaming under windows? I guess it will still be slower....
It depends on the game. Some run quite well, others can be a bit slower. One of the statistics I heard was that Oblivion runs better under Cedega than it does in Vista, but that doesn't really mean too much :lol2:

Actually back in the time when I played alot of WoW I ran it through Cedega and it ran it faster with Cedega than Windows. But I don't play Wow anymore. But I still have Cedega (and now cedega 6.0) as Cedega runs my games almost perfectly well. So no complaint from here.

I think most complains come from ATI users, but even native games sucks with ATI.

But I really like to know how well Oblivion runs under Cedega before investing money in Oblivion. I'm a huge Elder Scroll fans and have played all of them except Oblivion.

How does it compare to gaming under windows? I guess it will still be slower....
It depends on the game. Some run quite well, others can be a bit slower. One of the statistics I heard was that Oblivion runs better under Cedega than it does in Vista, but that doesn't really mean too much :lol2:

my pc isn't exactly top notch anymore and i need all the power and minimum overhead to squeeze out those extra few frames/s. :sad:

Actually back in the time when I played alot of WoW I ran it through Cedega and it ran it faster with Cedega than Windows.
Last time I played it there were some graphics features that weren't enabled under Cedega (shaders and such), so that might account for the perfomance increase.

Actually back in the time when I played alot of WoW I ran it through Cedega and it ran it faster with Cedega than Windows.
Last time I played it there were some graphics features that weren't enabled under Cedega (shaders and such), so that might account for the perfomance increase.

Could be that, but graphically I didn't see a diffrence (or I wasn't aware off).