corrupted gdm theme

Press alt+ctrl+F1 in order to drop to the command line. From there start the GUI-desktop directly with

startx

Then go to system -> administration -> display manager and reconfigure it.

You'll need to shut it down. startx, when done under a user, should bypass the login screen.

To shut down X you'll need to do this as root:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

or it might be slightly different in fedora...you might get away with:

service gdm stop

Another option would be to start a new X server on a different "screen" so you don't have to worry about the current one:

startx -- :1

Then going back to the first with CTRL+ALT+F7 and using CTRL+ALT+BKSP should force it to restart with a non-corrupt theme (after you change it as arctic stated).

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to go into init 3 mode. You don't have to do that however by editing the inittab file. A simple "init 3" as root should be enough. After that, startx should work. (at least it does on my fc6 box and my RHEL clone)

If it still doesn't work when using startx then it will tell why it won't start. Carefully read the resulting screen text and it will have the details.

I would also select fail safe at bootup and try going in from there.

Cheers. John.

Hehehe..., John, Fedora does not have a "failsafe" boot-option. :) For that you have to edit the grub entry and add to the boot-line which init you want to start, e.g. by adding a "3" at the end of the kernel line for init 3 mode. Different distros, different approaches. :rolleyes: