Menu button on 2007.1 [solved]

RVDowning

Upgraded 2007.0 to 2007.1. On the new release the start button for the menu on the taskbar consists of the word "Mandriva" and is about three times wider than the button that used to be there. This unnecessarily uses up valuable taskbar real estate. Is there any way to change this button to something smaller?

So far, that is the only change I notice, except for the kat replacement, beagle, which I have already removed. I notice that items continue to run after start up like beagled, and beagled helper. How do I prevent these from running?

Edit: Found instructions for removing the large menu button here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...Mandriva_Online

[moved from Software - arctic]

I thought that large menu button looked sweet, I also noticed a few weeks/month back that AusieJohn had a larger than normal Menu button (he posted some pic), I was going ask how it was done but never got around to it.

Anyway, not being restricted, and being able to customize things to your liking is a great thing.

I wasn't complaining about the looks, just the amount of real estate it occupied on a busy task bar.

I wish that I could prevent some items from appearing in the task bar at all, except perhaps if they are minimized. For example, I always have gaim up. It would suffice for it to appear only in the system tray. The same for xmms, etc. That would save even more space on the task bar for items that really need to be there.

Hello RV.

Instead of trying to squeese more on to the task bar (panel) why not open a second panel on the left or right side.

Just right click on the taskbar and select add a panel. I will most likely appear above the existing taskbar/panel but all you need to do is drag it up to either side and then put your applications icons on it.

See my setup.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers. John

Don't think I have enough open on one desktop to warrant the side taskbar.

I generally use 6 double-wide (dual screen) virtual desktops, each dedicated to specific things, (gkrellm, xmms, gaim, Opera on 1, System monitoring stuff and webcams on 2, development environment on 3, ftp and file management on 4, spreadsheets on 5, misc (like backup software & azureus) on 6) so I don't usually have lots of tabs open on the same screen.

All these items come up by themselves when I bring up the system. Just getting the Mandriva star back for the menu gives me plenty of room. All is now well.

What you are saying is that you have a large number of applications spread over the 6 desktops.

You dont have to have all the open applications showing on the taskbar simultaneously.

If you open Configure Panel then select Taskbar then go to the top and deselect Show Windows from all desktops then close out. This way the taskbar will only show the apps open in the window you are currently in.

Combined with what I suggested earlier and you will have miles of room on your taskbar. You will have even more desktop if you make the additional Panel hide automatically.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I do only have the applications on the visible window show in the taskbar. As a rule, I do have plenty of taskbar space. (Especially without that large menu button. ;) )

I do have a taskbar hiding type problem, though. I have had this problem since the advent of 2007.0. It worked fine prior thereto.

Even though I have the taskbar settings set to have the taskbar hide automatically when the cursor moves off of it, in fact it will only disappear when I move the cursor off the screen, either to the left, right or top. It does reappear correctly when I move the cursor off the screen to the bottom.

This is a nuisance, and because of it, I no longer use the auto hide feature. I hope they fix this sometime.