NTP via wireless [solved]

edwardp

Now that I know this is happening with more than one distro, I'll go back and put Mandriva back on it. :)

It is odd though, that during the bootup sequence, both eth0 (wired) and eth1 (wireless) come up, the network comes up, yet eth1 still doesn't connect immediately like a wired connection.

I have some success to report. :)

With SuSE, if I set the network interfaces to use traditional "ifup" instead of SuSE's Network Manager, ntp will successfully resolve at bootup, since "ifup" will bring up the network interfaces before anything else.

Now...when I reinstall Mandriva on this laptop, how do I set up the interfaces to also use "ifup"? I was looking for this option on my desktop system and didn't find it.

Ed

Because of the obvious differences between SuSE and Mandriva WRT the time that the networrk comes up on the laptop, I can't use Mandriva on the laptop. After I login to KDE, the network should already be up and running. :sad:

Mandriva works perfectly on the desktops though. :)

• 7 months later...

Back. :D

As a recent kernel update in SUSE trashed the audio on my 10-year old Pentium system (changing the audio card didn't fix it), I decided to give Mandriva another look, it is currently installing on that machine. I'm going with the Gnome desktop since KDE's Kdesktop always crashes on this machine.

I looked in this thread and didn't find it, but I recall some months back, seeing a message that it was possible to change something in a config file that will allow NTP to start later in the process as Linux is booting up. Should I decide to replace SUSE with Mandriva on the laptop, this will certainly fix the NTP problem (appearing to start before the network came up).

However, I've since learned that the router itself was a problem. The wireless signal it was pushing out was not strong enough for the laptop to receive, even with the laptop sitting right next to the router! I bought a new router (Linksys Wireless-G) and the signal from this is now strong enough for the laptop to pick up anywhere in the house. With a stronger signal now (and looking back on this thread), would this automatically solve that Mandriva NTP issue, without having to edit any config files?

Edited by edwardp

• 4 months later...

Who would have thought I would have this same problem, but on a WIRED connection right into the router...

Well, in any event, the same thing has been going on with 2008 Spring since installation, on all machines.

Trying out what ianw1974 has suggested in this thread:

chkconfig ntpd off

and adding

service ntpd start

to rc.local, appears to have fixed this problem on my slow Pentium system (yes, it still works!) and am going to do the same on my other systems, including the laptop.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

This workaround also worked on the other (wired) system that has 2008 Spring installed, as well as on the laptop. :)

But there is a timezone bug (reported back in January 2008) that is still unresolved, the workaround makes the bug "noticable" on the K6-2 system, but not the other two that have Spring installed.

Edited by edwardp