how can I use Thai fonts on Mandriva 2007 [solved]

bovy

hi guys, i'm a Thai user. i have a problem about using Thai fonts on openoffice

some say that i need to import Thai fonts to Fonts directory in order to be appeared on openoffice. but the problem is i don't know where's the fonts directory

moreover, there is Opentle(a Thai linux based on Ubuntu) which completely works with Thai both on office and web browser(Iceweasel). i just wonder if how can i get the web browser named Iceweal which's perfectly Thai.

furthermore, i've heard that we can use windows app on mandriva using Wine or else. i need to listed to radio online which need windows media player. i try to install mplayer(linux) but it's very difficult for me to compile sourse, actually, i've used mandrive for a month, none of software that i successful istall (i always have many err). i also hope that there would be much more app in the package manager as Ubuntu (i think it has so many downloaded app)

in short, thank you very much. because of Mandriva isn't popular in Thailand so this site is the only one that i get help. there is no border on the World Wide Web, thank you

Iceweasel is just an unbranded Firefox build, so Firefox would support it just as well as Iceweasel, it's probably just a matter of configuration.

This HOWTO gives directions on installing fonts, although it's command line based and I don't know how comfortable you are with that. I believe Mandriva has a font importer, in Mandriva Control Center. However, you may find that thai font packages are available in an RPM form. Use the easy-urpmi link at the top right of the page to help configure your rpm repositories (or go here if running 2007.1). Then, search for "thai" or "fonts" or the combination "thai fonts" in the Mandriva Control Center under Software, Install Software (or similarly named - can't remember the exact wording). You should be able to find the necessary fonts there.

Let us know if you need further information. And welcome to the board :)

If you add the repositories from easy urpmi or smart urpmi then you should be able to find a package called fonts-ttf-thai. I just tried a search in Mandriva 2007.1 and I have this package avaiable.

Also Mplayer and other players should be avaiable from the Mandriva control centers software installer. You should not need to compile it yourself. If you choose Mplayer then install the mplayerplugin as well to have mplayer integrated in your browser.

If you need Wine then you can also install this from the software installer. If you install Wine you can check out the winehq site for details on mediaplayer or have a look at Winetools which can install Media player.

Ubuntu does not really have more software than Mandriva. You just have to make sure you have the software repositories installed. So go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ or http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ and follow the instuctions. I recommend that you install at least "MAIN, MAIN UPDATE and CONTRIB" but you may want the PLF NON-FREE and PLF FREE plus BACKPORTS too.

I also recommend this site which helped me a lot when I was new to Mandriva: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Mandriva

It can help you setup the repositories and install software quickly.

Best of luck to you. Mandriva is a great system and I hope you will get it working like it should. :D

Edited by opvask

hi i come to give the "exact way" to get Thai works in Mandriva 2007 for anyone who may want to

1st by using URMPI, try to search "Thai", then u'll get "ttf-thai" plug in. Install it

2nd open therminal and then write this "rpm -vi ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/www.haoli.org/...oarch.rpm"

it will take a while, so write this "fc-cache -f -v"

3rd if you still have problems with Thai fonts, try to install firefox extension search "thai word separater"

finally, done

ps. i didn't import fonts from Windows partition because it's not work and after i imported fonts from Windows, my Openoffice couldn't type in Thai anymore: it appears as box

any help about Thai fonts can PM to me

Edited by bovy