Mandriva 2007.1 tour

arctic

mysti, I think if you go into the kde manager, there is a way to go to the kde default menu system. It gives a warning that there may be items missing, but I haven't seen anything missing yet.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, new users feel lost with the KDE default menu. It's quite simpler in its form being mostly one level and it's probably simpler to put that way internally because you don't have to do any politics to explain to this developper why he is in a 3rd level menu when this other one app is in the 1st level, but on the user side when you dont know the applications, it's really hard to find out anything as the menus are quite cluttered with apps.

I think the mandriva way to do it, to propose one choice by the distro AND to propose the original default one, is the best approach because you take your responsability as a distro to integrate the applications into your vision of the desktop without forcing it on those who do not see it fit to their needs.

Let's say, the KDE one is the best one for people who know how to and want to edit their own menu, and the mandriva one is better for people who want to find their 3 or 5 usual apps very fast and then have them in the frequently used apps section.

There is even a 3rd menu, the discovery one, which I'm not found of. I find it too eery for me, I don't know what I'm clicking on as they have really abstracted the names too much for my tastes. But until I have seen it with first time users, I won't know if it's effective or not.

One thing that I find odd in the Mandriva choice is the place where they put the apps like k3b. It"s too deep and seems displaced in system to start with. imho.

I agree about k3b. One thing I don't understand is why Mandriva removed the menu updating tool. It comes in very handy because it scans for apps that aren't on the menu and then you just check the one you want to add and it adds it.