Thunderbird Question

JonEberger

Hi Everybody,

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird now since 2003 (I think) and I've got a problem that I've never had before. I'm currently using Beta 2.02 (also, I think) and this guy leaves a huge footprint. This wouldn't be a problem except for the way the University I attend has some things going.

The school uses AFS for it's network filesystem and of course all applications generate the ".whatever" directory where all of my settings, etc. are stored. In Firefox there is the

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory

property name which I can add to the prefs.js file when I do an "about:config" in the address bar. In Firefox I just moved this directory to the local drive on my workstation and all goes well. This frees up most of the bulk space which Firefox requires. Is there something similar for Thunderbird? I do not want to get rid of these messages (the number of messages, nor their attachments are the problem as mail space is served differently than my AFS space). The problems are the filters, rules, address books, etc. that I have set up and which save me tons of time.

Any ideas? I didn't find anything online, but I'm a notoriously poor websearcher.

Also, I notice that I have two profiles listed (what I'm presuming are two different profiles) wach with horrendously given names each starting with a decimal number followed by several letters. One of them is quite large and the other is quite small. How do I know which profile I'm using?

Thanks and thanks again,

Jon

Edited by JonEberger

The way I found out which file Thunderbird was using, was to change the name of the file, adding -old. Then I re-started Thunderbird. If it wanted to open/start a new account, I knew that the file I changed was the file it was using. I then canceled what Thunderbird wanted to do, closing it, and then re-changing the name I had previously changed. It a dumb way of finding out which file it uses, but it worked for me.

Kieth