Need a VCD Burner! [solved]

Guest Peezee

Guest Peezee

I got alot movies i wanna but to VCD. My dvd bruner went to shit and all i got is a cd burnner so i need a program to be able to make a vcd out of avi files. If anyone can help in anyway it will be greeted with open arms.

thanks,

I don't agree. SVCD are still a nice thing. You have one movie on a simple CD (cost of a CD), and still playable on any DVD player, if you want to take some of your SVCDs with you on hollidays.

Not all movies, however, actually fit on a SVCD.

Your initial (capture) quality has to be good. Then, using avidemux, you can see what is the length in seconds of your movie (once ads and such are removed); let it be L. Now you compute the total bitrate (TBR)so that it fits on a CD:

TBR=700000*8/L

Depending on the quality you want the sound to retain, you'll choose an audio bitrate (ABR) between 48 and 128. You'll deduce the video bitrate (VBR):

VBR=TBR-ABR

From experiments, I've found that most of the time, VBR must be greater than 900 for acceptable results.

If you decide it is worth a try, encoding your source video to SVCD is easily done with mencoder:

mencoder -mc 0 SOURCE.avi -edl SOURCE.edl -af channels=2:2:0:1:0:0
-vf crop=W:H:X:Y,hqdn3d,pp=md/ha/va/dr,scale=480:SH,expand=480:576:0:SY,harddup
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=xsvcd:vaspect=4/3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vpass=1:turbo:aspect=4/3:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_maxrate=2500:vbitrate=VBR:keyint=
15:trell:mbd=2:dia=3:cmp=3:subcmp=3:last_pred=2
-oac twolame -twolameopts br=ABR -ofps 25 -o /dev/null

mencoder -mc 0 SOURCE.avi -edl SOURCE.edl -af channels=2:2:0:1:0:0
-vf crop=W:H:X:Y,hqdn3d,pp=md/ha/va/dr,scale=480:SH,expand=480:576:0:SY,harddup
vcodec=mpeg2video:vpass=2:aspect=4/3:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_maxrate=2500:vbitrate=VBR:keyint=15:trell:
mbd=2:dia=3:cmp=3:subcmp=3:last_pred=2
-oac twolame -twolameopts br=ABR -ofps 25 -o DESTINATION.mpg

vcdimager -t svcd -l "YOUR TITLE" DESTINATION.mpg

cdrdao write --speed 4 --device /dev/hdc videocd.cue

Note: Real line changes occur at empty lines; other apparent line breaks are fake, and inserted only for readability.

- SOURCE.avi is your source video file, the aspect ratio of which is SAR (eg: 4/3=1.33...).

- SH is the rescaled SVCD height (because SVCD aspect ratio is weird):

SH = round((H*SAR/(4/3))*(480/W)*(576/360)/16)*16 = round((H/W)*SAR*576/16)*16

- W, H, X, Y are the cropped width, height, and X/Y offsets chosen (using eg. avidemux) so that:

. all border-garbage or black borders is gone,

. and: -5 < (H/W)*SAR*576 - SH < 5 (so that the rounded height is not too far from the theoric height).

- SY is the 16px-aligned offset:

SY = round((576-SH)/32)*16

- VBR and ABR are the bitrates calculated above.

Besides:

- If your SOURCE is anime, you should replace "dia=3:cmp=3:subcmp=3:last_pred=2" with "cmp=2:subcmp=2" in both mencoder lines (source: mencoder manual).

- If your SOURCE is interleaved (as in TV), then W must be a multiple of 8, and H a multiple of 2.

- If your SOURCE is NOT interleaved, you should remove the "md/" part from both mencoder lines (just after "pp=").

- If your SOURCE is OK, as it should be, then you can probably remove the "ha/va/" part from both mencoder lines.

- If your TV standard is NTSC, then you'll probably have to adapt further, as the number of frames per second is not 25 for NTSC.

Here is a real example I have (my capture aspect-ratio is 2/3):

mencoder -mc 0 yamadas.avi -edl yamada.edl -af channels=2:2:0:1:0:0
-vf crop=376:412:4:80,pp=md/ha/va/dr,hqdn3d,scale=480:416,expand=480:576:0:80,harddup
vcodec=mpeg2video:vpass=1:turbo:aspect=4/3:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_maxrate=2500:vbitrate=880:keyint=
15:trell:mbd=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2
-oac twolame -twolameopts br=64 -ofps 25 -o /dev/null

mencoder -mc 0 yamadas.avi -edl yamada.edl -af channels=2:2:0:1:0:0
-vf crop=376:412:4:80,pp=md/ha/va/dr,hqdn3d,scale=480:416,expand=480:576:0:80,harddup
vcodec=mpeg2video:vpass=2:aspect=4/3:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_maxrate=2500:vbitrate=880:keyint=15:trell:
mbd=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2
-oac twolame -twolameopts br=64 -ofps 25 -o yamada.mpg

vcdimager -t svcd -l "Mes voisins les Yamada" yamada.mpg

cdrdao write --device /dev/hdc videocd.cue

"edl" files are "edition list" files, each line of which contains "FROM TO 0", where FROM and TO (in seconds) delimit a portion of the movie that must be cut and the final zero means "cut"; eg:

0.00 17.56 0
6383.20 7189.12 0

I hope this helps.

Yves.

I got alot movies i wanna but to VCD. My dvd bruner went to shit and all i got is a cd burnner so i need a program to be able to make a vcd out of avi files. If anyone can help in anyway it will be greeted with open arms.

thanks,

check out "DeVeDe" if you need an all in one "GUI" solution.

http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Hey Peezee, did you get your question answered?

Or did you changed your approach in the other thread you tried to start?

To me it looks like you change your mind on something... and the others thought you made a double post.

Edited by RadioEar

Guest Peezee
Hey Peezee, did you get your question answered?

Or did you changed your approach in the other thread you tried to start?

To me it looks like you change your mind on something... and the others thought you made a double post.

No i found a vcd burner but it wont change an avi to mpeg Y? i have no damn clue but i need to change an avi to a mpeg now but thank you all for all ur help.

I know it does not show much, but what I wrote indeed takes an AVI for input and outputs an MPEG. In the simplest form, this converts an AVI to MPEG:

mencoder FILE.AVI -of mpeg -mpegopts vaspect=4/3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:aspect=4/3 -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3:br=128:q=0:aq=0 -ofps 25 -o FILE.MPEG

Note however, that contrary to AVI, the mpeg format doesn't accept all aspect ratio; only 4/3 and 16/9. Besides, you cannot put anything inside an MPEG container; here I choose MPEG2 video and MPEG1-layer3 (aka "mp3") audio.

Yves.

[edit:]All else I added in the previous post was to ensure a compression factor suitable for SVCD, or was directly related to the SVCD constraints.[/edit]

Edited by theYinYeti