Cannot see other computers on my LAN

Guest n8oay

Guest n8oay

I just installed Mandriva One 2007 a couple days ago, and most things seem to be working OK, but I can not see the local home network. I can connect to the internet (cable). I have a Netgear gigabit NIC, Netgear gigabit hub and a Linksys Router with a hardware firewall. Since I can connect to the internet, I am assuming that the hub and router is not the problem (I am posting this from the Mandriva computer). When I open the Control Center, I see the name of the network on the title bar, so I am guessing that I got that entered OK in the correct place. When I go into Konqueror, click on the Go menu, then the icon for the local network, I get the following error:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'lan'.

I'm not sure where to go. In the Network and Internet window in the Control Center, i find the following in Reconfigure a Network Interface:

Vendor: ?Realtek Semiconductor
Description: ?RTL-8169
Media class: ?NETWORK_ETHERNET
Module name: ?r8169
Mac Address: ?00:14:6c:cb:55:46
Bus: ?PCI
Location on the bus: ?-

What should I look for to fix this?

Dave

Edited by n8oay

Check if you have the lisa package installed.

Just type in a console window: rpm -q lisa if it says there's no lisa package installed type: su press enter, input your root password press enter, then type: urpmi lisa when the package is installed type: exit to leave root mode.

Guest n8oay
Just try smb:/ (for windows clients) or nfs:/ (for *nix ones) instead. No reason to install lisa and/or zeroconf.

OK, I found one problem that I did not see last night - in Control Center - Network Services - Manage Hosts Definitions, I found it set up for 127.0.0.0 - I changed that to 192.168.2.101 which is what shows in the Router setup for the computer. After restarting the computer, I do see icons for Samba Shares under Network Folders on the Konqueror Go menu. Double clicking it gives me an icon for the network, and that icon leads to the two icons for each of the shared partitions on the Windows computer, one icon being a drive letter, and one icon being the drive letter with a '$'. Clicking any of the drive letter folders gives me the error:

The files or folders smb://my_username/D does not exist.

Clicking on the drive letter $ icons gives me a dialog box asking for a password. None of the shared folders on the Windows computer are password protected. On the Windows computer, I am still not able to see the Mandriva computer on the network.

Is it possible that I may have set something up incorrectly when I installed Mandriva? I did not have any of these problems with the other distros (all Debian based) that I tried before Mandriva.

Edited by n8oay

Guest n8oay

I just found a firewall setting that was incorrect (blocking everything) and fixed that. I still can not access the Windows computer and the Windows computer still does not see the Mandriva computer. If I can get this problem fixed, I think (at this point, at least) that I will keep using Mandriva, join the club and download the full Powerpack version. I really like the rpm package management a lot better then deb. I just installed a program that I was never able to get to work with any of the Debian based distros - XnView - in maybe five minutes, I spent several evenings trying to get it to work with the Debian distros.

Guest n8oay

OKay, I may be on to something here. I started thinking about trying Mandriva Free, since I was going to do a reload anyway, and I have the DVD that came with the November 2006 issue of Linux Magazine. When I opened the DVD, I found a note that I had printed out from the magazine's web site documenting a fix for a bug in the installation http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/72/Man...stallation.html. This could be the source of my problem. I will let you know after I complete the reload.

Guest n8oay
OKay, I may be on to something here. I started thinking about trying Mandriva Free, since I was going to do a reload anyway, and I have the DVD that came with the November 2006 issue of Linux Magazine. When I opened the DVD, I found a note that I had printed out from the magazine's web site documenting a fix for a bug in the installation http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/72/Man...stallation.html. This could be the source of my problem. I will let you know after I complete the reload.

Reinstalling Mandriva One without setting up the network did the trick. It is now working OK.

Reinstalling was not called for.

For accessing windows computers on the LAN you need the package "smbclient" and for allowing widows computers accessing the shares you need "samba".

smbclient is working right out of the box, while for samba you need having the daemon "samba" running and configuring your samba (via mcc or kcontrol).

• 1 year later...