Updating Official GCC-GLibc Without Re-compiling

anonxyz

Hi

I had Mandrake 10.0 since 2004. There is a new open source multimedia program incompatible with GCC-3.3.2 (MDK 10) but compatible with GCC-3.4.3 (MDK 10.2). Some programs also need new GLIBC-2.3.4 from MDK 10.2.

Is it possible to upgrade GCC, Glibc, Binutils directly by installing binary RPMs (i586.rpm) from Mandrake 10.2 CD without re-compiling from source code?

Is there any step-by-step instruction/guide for this process?

Thank you.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Welcome to the board :)

It's not easily possible to update glibc, as all the things you have installed already need the glibc you have now, and will not work with the new one. If you force it, it will break your system.

So, to update glibc, you need to update almost *every* package on the system.

You're better off upgrading to a newer release if you need that application.

James

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. I'm not advocating compiling glibc from source. But in Gentoo we do update glibc and gcc. We have to do an easy configuration to switch to the new gcc and then we recompile the system. It works just fine. :P

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. I'm not advocating compiling glibc from source. But in Gentoo we do update glibc and gcc. We have to do an easy configuration to switch to the new gcc and then we recompile the system. It works just fine. :P

Well, ok technically, you're right, GCC/Glibc can be upgraded for smaller point releases without issue, though this update is not such. And yeah, he can recompile his whole system if he wants, but seeing as there's a shiny new versions of mandriva, it's be far quicker to upgrade wouldnt it? ;)

James