Dual boot

:shocking: I have a 64 bit system that I'm trying to dual boot with FC5.

Has some one done this and used the swap part for both OS's??

moved from Installing Mandriva by mystified

• 2 months later...
I've done that on 32 bit, should there be any difference?

Which Os did you install first?

I can't seem to get both Os's to write to the same grub.

Only on or the other will load, and no choice for the other Os.

Choose one system to be the master for the boot loader. I usually use Mandriva. Then I write the lines I need to boot the system, whether grub or lilo. You can look at the sample grub record in the /boot directory of the non-master system, if you are unsure of their syntax. But this is how I boot as many as 5 os's on the same machine.

heh...after reading your post and seeing your icon, i want to ask, "do you feel lucky, punk? well? do ya?"

with that out of my system, if I'm starting from scratch, (i'm presuming you want FC5 and a Windows) I install WinXP first. Then I install my Linux so windows doesn't wipe my boot loader. you can pick partition sizes in the windows installer OR you can fix the partition sizes using the Linux installer. You'd write the changes to disk and then just dump out of it after it's all finished. I just download GPartd. It's pretty fabulous and will let you resize NTFS partitions. I don't think the FC5 installer will do that. I've never had any difficulties with Linux recognizing a Windows partition in Grub or Lilo (even way back in the 90's).

Jon

Choose one system to be the master for the boot loader. I usually use Mandriva. Then I write the lines I need to boot the system, whether grub or lilo. You can look at the sample grub record in the /boot directory of the non-master system, if you are unsure of their syntax. But this is how I boot as many as 5 os's on the same machine.

Pretty much what I do, on my system the Fedora installed grub is used to boot between Fedora, Ubuntu, and Win XP. This isn't a matter of preference, rather convenience, as Fedora doesn't use symbolic links for vmlinuz and initrd.img, unlike other distro's such as Ubuntu and Mandriva. Therfore grub needs to be updated everytime you update the kernel on Fedora, whereas it doesn't on others, only the symbolic links need to be updated. I suppose you could use your own symbolic links on Fedora, but I'm lazy.

Alternatively, ensure you have /boot on it's separate partition, and each distro can use this and then grub can be managed from all distros. At least, I'm pretty sure although I've not tested it. All changes will be made by root, the the uid/gid of files will remain the same across distros.

Actually, I used to place all kernels in Mandriva's /boot, but not on a separate partition. The syntax of the lilo/grub file changed, while the specific instructions for each / location had to be reconfigured according to Mandriva's perspective in the system. It worked, but simply making changes in the lilo/grub file was easiest and I did not have to copy the kernels.

If you have /boot on a different partition, then what you do is set all distros to access this for the /boot mount point. This then means that you don't have to manually copy the kernels over from one distro to another ;)

Alternatively, ensure you have /boot on it's separate partition, and each distro can use this and then grub can be managed from all distros. At least, I'm pretty sure although I've not tested it. All changes will be made by root, the the uid/gid of files will remain the same across distros.

I'm sure I tried this before, but it didn't work for me and I was too lazy too find out why.