How to Get Mandriva Config'd With Linksys Router

Guest storm3

Guest storm3

I have ADSL connected to my Linksys Wired & Wireless router. I have no issues with any of my other computers, whether wired or wirelessly connecting to this router which is connected to my ADSL Modem. This statement was true until I installed Mandriva Linux 2007, Now NO Matter what I do to Mandriva to try and make it connect to the Internet via the Router and Ethernet eth0 connection setup, I can't figure out the magic combination it is looking for to make it connect to the internet.

Someone Please Help me, I stayed up wayyyyy tooo late last night on this, it just shouldn't be this hard.

All the IP, DNS, Etc.. are stored in the Router, and it uses Auto DHCP to Dole out the IP Addresses etc.. to any / all computers attempting to connect to the internet via it, meaning the router btw.

Please Help, either here, but preferably via email at: storm3@twlakes.net

Thanks again,

Ken

I have ADSL connected to my Linksys Wired & Wireless router. I have no issues with any of my other computers, whether wired or wirelessly connecting to this router which is connected to my ADSL Modem. This statement was true until I installed Mandriva Linux 2007, Now NO Matter what I do to Mandriva to try and make it connect to the Internet via the Router and Ethernet eth0 connection setup, I can't figure out the magic combination it is looking for to make it connect to the internet.

Someone Please Help me, I stayed up wayyyyy tooo late last night on this, it just shouldn't be this hard.

All the IP, DNS, Etc.. are stored in the Router, and it uses Auto DHCP to Dole out the IP Addresses etc.. to any / all computers attempting to connect to the internet via it, meaning the router btw.

Thanks again,

Ken

I don't really know if this will help or not because I am a complete newbie but...

I found that when using a router to connect two computers, it would not work when encryption was enabled if the two computers were using different operating systems. When I disabled encryption, it connected just fine.

Guest storm3

Ok,

Here's the thing, the encryption which is PSA-SK shouldn't matter because that is only applied to wireless connections, not the wired connections, and my Linux box is Hardwired with Cat5 to the Router. I have tried telling it to use DHCP, and even tried manually assigning the 192.168.1.7 or 9 whatever wasn't already used on the router to the linux box, and the eth0 still will not show an active connection and let me surf the internet. I don't care if the windows and linux boxes talk or not, I just want to be able to surf the internet.

Please Help!

Ken

Thanks again,

Ken

I don't really know if this will help or not because I am a complete newbie but...

I found that when using a router to connect two computers, it would not work when encryption was enabled if the two computers were using different operating systems. When I disabled encryption, it connected just fine.

Let's start with the basic stuff. Post what nic you are using and the output of:

# ifconfig

The above must be run as root and will give info on all network interfaces that have drivers loaded.

Getting a little deeper, post the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/modprobe.conf. The first is the network configuration script that is actualy automatically edited when you use mandriva control center and the second is one of the files that determine what driver is loaded for eth0. In modprobe.conf, look for a line that says "alias eth0 <module name>". You can confirm that your nic module actually loaded by running as root:

# lsmod

which will print out all loaded modules.

Finally, if the correct module is loaded for your nic and eth0 shows up in ifconfig, try pinging your router with:

$ ping -c3 192.168.1.1

That's the ip for all the linksys routers I've used unless you have manually set it to something different. If you can ping the router, this would confirm that you have the correct driver loaded for your nic and it's working properly. In that case you will need to take a closer look at ifcfg-eth0 or it could be a dns problem.

Edited by pmpatrick

Hey, Welcome aboard :) Well this sounds like it should be straight forward. You say you've tried it in both DHCP & static & it still doesn't work? Well firstly as root

su

(then password for root) in the terminal run

ifconfig -a

copy & paste the contents. Also as root run

cat /etc/resolv.conf

& copy & paste the contents so we can have a look. Maybe you could also tell/show us the layout of your network (IP addressess, subnets, gateway etc..)

EDIT: pmpatrick: wins the quick-fire draw ;)

Edited by jaraeez

Guest storm3
Hey, Welcome aboard :) Well this sounds like it should be straight forward. You say you've tried it in both DHCP & static & it still doesn't work? Well firstly as root
su

ifconfig -a

cat /etc/resolv.conf

& copy & paste the contents so we can have a look. Maybe you could also tell/show us the layout of your network (IP addressess, subnets, gateway etc..)

Okay, Thanks for all your guys help, I am doing it now, I will post my results, sorry it took so long, but I had to copy your comments to my tablet so I can type the results onto my tablet save to a text file, and post it here, instead of handwriting it all down, then coming back and typing it in again.

I'll brb with the results.

Thanks again,

Ken

Guest storm3

su

ifconfig -a

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Okay, Thanks for all your guys help, I am doing it now, I will post my results, sorry it took so long, but I had to copy your comments to my tablet so I can type the results onto my tablet save to a text file, and post it here, instead of handwriting it all down, then coming back and typing it in again.

I'll brb with the results.

Thanks again,

Ken

NIC is Onboard via Rhine II is says

------------------- My Results Here ------------------

ifconfig response

lo

Link encap: Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP loopback running mtu:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:248 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX Packets:248 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:19456 (19.0 KiB) TX bytes:19456 (19.0 KiB)

lsmod responce

ppp_async 9920 0

ppp_generic 24628 1 ppp_async

slhc 6784 1 ppp_generic

crc_ccitt 2688 1 ppp_async

nls_utf8 2624 0

isofs 32444 0

vfat 11104 0

fat 46876 1 vfat

ipv6 237120 16

snd_seq_dummy 3620 0

snd_seq_oss 31392 0

snd_seq_midi_event 7072 1 snd_seq_ss

snd_seq 49488 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event

via_rhine 20868 0

mii 5664 1 via_rhine

snd_pcm_oss 40384 0

snd_mixer_oss 16096 1 snd_pcm_oss

af_packet 17960 0

snd_via82xx 24952 0

gameport 11912 0 snd_via82xx

snd_ac97_codec 96868 1 snd_via82xx

snd_ac97_bus 2848 1 snd_ac97_codec

snd_pcm 70116 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec

snd_timer 19620 2 sndseq,snd_pcm

snd_page_alloc 8712 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm

snd_mpu401_uart 7616 1 snd_vi82xx

snd_rawmidi 19936 1 snd_mpu401_uart

snd_seq_device 7212 4 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi

snd 46500 11 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm

,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

soundcore 8096 1 snd

floppy 55172 0

ide_cd 35776 0

binfmt_misc 9800 1

loop 15400 0

supermount 34128 1

dm_mod 49944 0

cpufreq_ondemand 6956 0

cpufreq_conservative 6952 0

cpufreq_powersave 2400 0

freq_table 4800 0

processor 2148 0

via_agp 8896 1

agpgart6 27240 1 via_agp

tsdev 7040 0

evdev 8864 1

joydev 8928 0

usbmouse 5280 0

usbhid 49024 0

ehci_hcd 29160 0

uhci_hcd 20748 0

usbcore 113472 5 usbmouse,usbhid,ehci_hcd_uhci_hcd

ext3 124936 2

jbd 51028 1 ext3

okay on pinging 192.168.1.1 - Network is unreachable, and that sucks!

Because that is the IP of my router, I use that on my other machines to access the config application.

Cabling is fine, I've used it before, and double checked it is plugged in, even switched ports on the router itself, so it's not that.

cat /etc/resolv.conf Also results in the following: It correctly names: nameserver 192.168.1.2

as it should, all the other 127.0.0.1's are commented out with #'s in front of them.

Okay, Phew, I am tired now, so please help!

Thanks guys...

Ken

ok it looks like the module is loaded (mii 5664 1 via_rhine) but ifconfig shows no card configured. Can I just confirm that your router is 192.168.1.1 & your DNS is 192.168.1.2. The reason I ask is looking at your setup i'm inclined to say that the DNS should also be 192.168.1.1. Anyway setup your ethernet connection again through mcc (in terminal as root type mcc) then Network & Internet > Set up a new network interface > Ethernet. This then should show you the rhine module (driver) with a checkbox, tick that then go through the procedure giving it a static IP for now & maybe using 192.168.1.1 for DNS & Gateway unless your sure that the DNS should be 192.168.1.2. Click apply after finishing. Close the Control Center down & at the terminal try to 1st ping your router, then a web address. Also have a look at ifconfig -a again & make sure it has eth0 listed

HTH

The ifconfig output shows the network interface for your nic, eth0, is not being created. That would generally indicate an improper driver module for your nic or the module not loading. Just so I can confirm you have your chipset on the nic right, please post the output of:

$ lspci | grep Ethernet

If that gives no output, just post the output of:

$ lspci

That will give you everything on the pci bus.

Note, everyone is assuming that you have a standard nic in a pci slot or one onboard built into the motherboard. If that's not the case or if you have multiple nics, please indicate that.

Guest storm3
The ifconfig output shows the network interface for your nic, eth0, is not being created. That would generally indicate an improper driver module for your nic or the module not loading. Just so I can confirm you have your chipset on the nic right, please post the output of:

$ lspci | grep Ethernet

$ lspci

Note, everyone is assuming that you have a standard nic in a pci slot or one onboard built into the motherboard. If that's not the case or if you have multiple nics, please indicate that.

The first statement worked fine.. Here is the output, and yes I only have onboard NIC, not dual nics.

Ethernet Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. NT6102 [RHINE II] (Rev 74)

Okay I hope this helps....

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Function Not Implemented, Failed to bring up eth0 when I finish setting up the new network connection and try to bring it up using ifup eth0 command.

Please help what does this mean?

Guest storm3

$ lspci | grep Ethernet

$ lspci

The first statement worked fine.. Here is the output, and yes I only have onboard NIC, not dual nics.

Ethernet Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. NT6102 [RHINE II] (Rev 74)

Okay I hope this helps....

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Function Not Implemented, Failed to bring up eth0 when I finish setting up the new network connection and try to bring it up using ifup eth0 command.

Please help what does this mean?

Okay,

Here is what I did, hopefully this will help numerous other users with similar problems getting on the internet using the onboard NIC chipset with superIO and via chipset.

I disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS, then installed a Netgear Network card, and even then the already installed system refused to work either with manual settings or auto, so I then reinstalled the system completely, and during installation selected manual and entered in the correct settings that I had used all along, using 192.168.1.7 for the IP and 192.168.1.1 for both the gateway and dns server, left the hostname blank, and finished the install, and it worked like a charm. It still would not detect the HP LazerJet 4L printer attached to my windows box on the network, even though I told it to look for networked printers connected to windows systems also, but thats okay, at least I NOW have the system on the internet, and can begin to do my development work using the Torque Game Engine for Linux which is what I wanted this machine for anyways.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me, I really appreciate it.

Ken - If anyone else here needs any help please feel free to just ask!