persistent log window

thebluejay

I have installed the latest version of Mandriva and all went well. When I boot, I get a blank blue screen with two white windows on it (console style) where I can type text commands. No graphic desktop. Running startx tells me that the display server is already operating and if I load Firefox, I see graphic images and it runs fine. But no graphic desktop.

I figured out how to get to the Control Center but when playing around in there, I clicked on Display Logs. That brought up a window which contains logs of everything that I do, but it sits over the Control Center window which cannot, therefore, be accessed. The window containing the logs cannot apparently be moved or resized. How do I get rid of it?

And without the menus on the graphic display, I am forced to do everything using the command line - and I'm a newbie!! Imagine! How do I get to a file manager or text editor so that I can add or remove files and edit them?

Thx.

Welcome to MUB, which window manager did you select to use on installation i.e. kde, gnome or something else?

Beats me! :) The install was pretty automatic and I don't remember choosing a windows manager. I did updates and installed a bunch of kde and gnome stuff. When I type kde or gnome in the console window, I get command not found.

Using an old computer I am trying to learn Linux on. :) only 128M RAM. Hope it's enough!

It's enough to learn Linux on, but not enough to use KDE or Gnome with Mandriva. I would suggest you try Xubuntu, and even with that you will have to use the alternate install Cd to install with a 128 MB of RAM.

http://www.xubuntu.org/get#requirements

You could also try Puppy Linux:

http://www.puppylinux.org/

I suggest these because I have used them both on older systems.

Using an old computer I am trying to learn Linux on. :) only 128M RAM. Hope it's enough!

It's enough to learn Linux on, but not enough to use KDE or Gnome with Mandriva. I would suggest you try Xubuntu, and even with that you will have to use the alternate install Cd to install with a 128 MB of RAM.

http://www.xubuntu.org/get#requirements

You could also try Puppy Linux:

http://www.puppylinux.org/

I suggest these because I have used them both on older systems.

Xubuntu requires 192M RAM to install so I think I will give Puppy a try. If Fred Langa likes it, it's got to be good!

Thanks to all who helped. I'll let you all know how it goes.

thebluejay

Xubuntu requires 192M RAM to install

From my Xubuntu link:

Alternate Install CD only required you to have 64MB RAM

I just tried Puppy. Checked the file after downloading and checksum was fine. Burnt to CD and on boot reached a certain point and then:

Error, cannot find puppy on idecd boot media

pupmode=1 pdev=1

exited to ramdisk command line.

hmmmm...

I was able to find the Xubuntu Alternate Install CD and I'll give that a try. Quite a difference in the download: puppy less than 100M, Xubuntu almost 700M!

I just tried Puppy. Checked the file after downloading and checksum was fine. Burnt to CD and on boot reached a certain point and then:

Error, cannot find puppy on idecd boot media

pupmode=1 pdev=1

exited to ramdisk command line.

hmmmm...

I was able to find the Xubuntu Alternate Install CD and I'll give that a try. Quite a difference in the download: puppy less than 100M, Xubuntu almost 700M!

Good news! I was able to do a full install of Xubuntu and I'm amazed at the results. Runs beautifully on a 633 processor with only 128M RAM. Downloaded the Desktop Guide so I can become a Linux GEEK! :)

I like it. I think you have a convert.

Thx!

Jay