My Letter to Syntrillium Software

SoulSe

I need Cool Edit to work under Linux!

Hi there.

I ordered Cool Edit Pro 2.0 from you guys about a month ago. It is the best sound editing platform I have ever used. I work at a radio station and have been through most software packages out there.

I would like, however, to make a rather progressive suggestion. I am a dedicated Linux user, because it is more stable and reliable then windows. I also use it because I often work on a tight schedule and I cannot afford to have crashes and system hangs. The real-time processing is also superior, which is beneficial to sound editing.

I have tried to get my copy of Cool Edit Pro to run under Linux using emulators, but with little success. I know that many companies are now authoring ports of their software, which makes it possible to use them with Linux. Would this be something that Syntrillium software would ever consider? I know, from working in the industry, that many sound engineers and radio proffessionals are switching to Linux for the reasons I mentioned above. At present, however, the software choices for sound editing under Linux are limited and nothing comes close to products such as yours. By porting Cool Edit to Linux, you would instantly be capturing a market that is currently not catered for extensively.

I hope that my suggestion will be taken seriously and I look forward to any feedback that you can provide me with.

Kind Regards

Hold thumbs!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they will though. But I don't think it's as easy as that.

I hope companies realize they should start new project on a cross-platform target from now on, maybe using wxWindows as the GUI wrapper against each platform.

In fact, Adobe and now Macromedia both have cross-platform ports of their software (eg. Photoshop and Dreamweaver both on Windows and Mac OS X, the latter is coming to Mac soon). That being said, porting to Linux should not be too difficult to them. The problem is support, because they don't have control on what GUI/DE users have installed on their systems, or not. And perhaps also the pressure from Microsoft. In fact I will say three 3rd-party software vendors (and their products) will decide the acceptance and possibly the fate of (massive) Linux desktop, they are Adobe, Macromedia, and Intuit (Quicken and TurboTax). Too many people are using software products of their offerings. If they start to port to Linux, I am sure the rest of the industry will follow. Still cross-platform using wxWindows will be a more realistic goal, and co-existence has its merits.

I know it won't be that easy, but it's a start.

A lot of companies are designing sound software for Linux as of recently, because of the real-time processing advantages, especially for intensive stuff like Final Scratch, that plots mp3s accross the surface of a generic vinyl - HEAVY real time shit required.

Hey SoulSe, you have any experience of Final Scratch?

I heard about it for sometime and didn't manage to play with it. How it works on Linux? Any online radio-station using that?

I completely agree on getting a start, but open source world is so segmented that developers don't know which GUI to support. As I have said before, a common wrapper platform such as wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org) will save them more trouble in the long run. wxWindows can wrap against Win32, GTK , X11 Motif, and Cocoa on Mac OS X. In case GTK developers lose interest, wxWindows can wrap itself against another (new) GUI widget on Linux later. The shift of risk to a middleware GUI wrapper will be a benefit to many commercial developers out there. The downside I've seen so far is the small developer base of wxWindows, and also the lack of publicity. As you may know Audacity is based on wxWindows and has ports on both Windows and Linux.

Maybe you can recommend the CoolEdit developers to have a look at wxWindows too. :)

Also check out the Open Office Impress presentation of wxWindows at here:

http://www.wxwindows.org/docs.htm#presentations

I have not used Final Scratch, but I know many DJs do (like DJ elected from Relax - Holland).

It's expensive to get going with final scratch, but it saves cash in the long run. It's definately the future for djs (like me) who love vinyl, but have stacks of cds and mp3s/oggs.

I know very little about the whole porting process. I use Audacity all the time, but it is not half as good as Cooledit Pro - because you can't put more then one sample on a channel and it doesn't have all the limiters, eqs and effects I am used to working with. I also love the plot graphs for bpms, wets, db and pan that Cooledit have.

My two missions at the moment: get sound editing software for Linux and a Flash editor.

With those two things in hand, I would NEVER have to use windoze.

I see. Audacity is still not as sophisticated as the big guys nor as Ardour.

But the question remains, they need to choose a GUI widget and support this port in the future. Um, right now it seems Qt has a lot of momentum. Perhaps Qt and wxWindows will both contribute a lot to Linux port of software in the future. Being supported by a real company, using Qt is safer in the eyes and mindset of business world. Although wxWindows proved its worthiness after 10 years of continuous development.

My two missions at the moment: get sound editing software for Linux and a Flash editor.

Take a look at ecasound. http://www.eca.cx

Also, Broadcast 2000 is included on the Mandrake CD's (it's called bcast).

This isn't to say that these programs are as good or better than Cool Edit Pro, but Ecasound especially has lots of features and is quite sophisticated.

That being said, I would most likely purchase a copy of Cool Edit Pro if they made a Linux port.

this is what Syntrillium sent me when I asked about a linux port...!!

Hi,  

Syntrillium is not currently planning to develop Cool Edit for Linux. It  

would not be a port so much as an entirely new development task, because so  

much of the work required is UI-related. So the project would be immensely  

expensive , would take years to complete, and would take our resources away  

from the main (Windows) version of Cool Edit. Because there are so few  

Linux users in the audio world, the payback for all of this work could not  

justify the effort.  

We appreciate your support for Linux, and we're impressed by the attempt  

that they are making to provide an alternative OS against tremendous odds.  

However, we will not join the on-again, off-again flood of vaporware  

announcements for Linux software, and we can't risk committing the vast  

resources required to make so complex an application as Cool Edit for a  

platform that has such a tiny installed base.  

Sincerely,  

Shawn Deyell  

Technical Support Engineer  

Syntrillium Software Corp.  

This is what i got when i wrote to goldwave...!!

looks promising !!

It might be a while.  I hope to start work on the Linux version of  

GoldWave later this year.  I do not have any plans to port Multiquence  

at this time (it uses too much Windows specific code).  

Chris  

Did any of you try glame?

I used it some time ago, it has plenty of tracks you can edit in the same project, you can use filters and effects. I haven't used it in some time, don't know if it's still being developed, but their goal was: become the GIMP of audio editing..

Just checked their site, had a new version out in Nov 02 so not too old, apparently still got devvers working on it.

About the tiny marketshare: well, apple has a tiny marketshare, compared to MS, but Adobe still ports, because Mac seems to be the platform of choice (or used to be). Linux does not have a small marketshare compared to apple, although still smaller.

And by not porting, they are just keeping the marketshare down, until there is an OSS alternative, and then who are they going to sell to??

So bad management on one hand, low risk taking on the other.

Not sure what I would do as a company...

Ecasound = semi-crap

glaim = crap

I have tried them all folks. Until this problem gets sorted we are screwed as sound proffessionals using linux.

BTW: There is a HUGE difference between Cooledit and Cooledit Pro. CEP has a multichannel editor pane whereas Cooledit is a single waveform editor.

There are plenty of good single waveform editors for Linux, but no good multichannel editors.

About the tiny marketshare: well, apple has a tiny marketshare, compared to MS, but Adobe still ports, because Mac seems to be the platform of choice (or used to be). Linux does not have a small marketshare compared to apple, although still smaller.

And by not porting, they are just keeping the marketshare down, until there is an OSS alternative, and then who are they going to sell to??

GIMP can work great at web graphic, but for truly desktop publishing where color accuracy matters, Photoshop still rules. I don't know if GIMP-Print will have anything to do to change that yet. Besides, the current user-base will still prefer Photoshop as more powerful and productive than GIMP, with the large developer base of plugins and filters (well I guess that's not entirely true, but again GIMP does not have as much publicity anyway).

As for Linux marketshare, it's a myth. Maybe Linux market share survey should have counted the number of online downloads and P2P transfer head count of it, in addition to retail sales. I think by 2004 Linux should have surpassed Mac in user market share, when many user space desktop apps are becoming more and more mature and the much needed publicity being more openly addressed.

So bad management on one hand, low risk taking on the other.

Not sure what I would do as a company...

Planning a strategy for multi-platform.

The truth is, even Microsoft is surprised at the number of companies which are still using NT4 and Win98. Many of them simply won't do anything to upgrade their IT infrastructure when they works good enough. So it makes no sense to leave MS market altogether.

I expect in the near future we will see more articles and books on developing cross-platform apps, as there is really a demand of it. A good cross-platform GUI widget is instrumental in this regard.

Linux Audio Development: A Report from Karlsruhe

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6762

Now that ALSA 0.9+ is in the official 2.5/2.6 kernel tree, maybe companies will begin to think serious on Linux Audio apps, together with the new pre-emptive kernel patch which will reduce latency in general. 2003 will be the year for big Linux progress and development.