Linux NTFS fileserver with rsync backup

Scythe

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mixed up RAID 1 and RAID 0 again. I think that's the fourth time now :P

I am plannimg to get a SATA hard drive cage so I can place the second drive into it and be able to switch it off therefore increasing its mechanical life significently.

If I did this would I be able to have RAID 1 and have one of the drives turned off the majority of the time? Cause that would be great :)

If I did this would I be able to have RAID 1 and have one of the drives turned off the majority of the time? Cause that would be great :)

Not one of the RAID drives.... nope because the synchronisation is automatic (near instantaneous).. its going on all the time.

Your choice is down to what you want to keep safe and how often you add/change things.

I do both... I have an external backup drive... this has my photo's and stuff like that...

My server has RAID 1... because the data on it is changing all the time...

I try and leave nothing of importance in my actual home directory... and my external backup disk has two parts... a rsynch (which has stuff convenient to leave in the home likie my mail folders and the like)

whereas the photo's and other important stuff I manually copy across....

For instance if I go on vacation I can have a over hundred GB of new photo's ... I'll make a backup immediately (in addition to DVD backups) I made during the vacation incrementally...

Day to day... I'll add a few photo's and things here and there... if they are important I make 2 copies of the originals on two seperate drives... or make a DVD backup for the meantime... then when I get enough to be worthwhile I take out the external drive and plug it in and write them onto it...

This is pretty easy because I tend to keep folder names incremental for my photo's....

Usually at this time I'll kick off the rsynch and backup my mailboxes etc.

All my mail is also held externally as well (my ISP and/or gmail) really important mail is in both (I forward to myself)...but I always make sure the mail dirs are backed yp before doing any deletions in my main isp account...

RAID 0 isn't actually RAID.... (no redundancy) its basically just a concatonation of two drives...

RAID 1 is a simple mirror.. whatever goes on one get copied to the other...

You must have a very nice camera if you're taking that size of photos :)

So it looks like I won't be using software RAID, but the rsync backup to the drive every few days.

And, yes, I know the difference between the different RAID types - I just get the numbers confused :P

If I did this would I be able to have RAID 1 and have one of the drives turned off the majority of the time? Cause that would be great

not a raid solution, but here an alternative

a NAS unit like the Linksys NSLU2. I recalled does spin down the HD

connected on the USB after 5 min (you need to double check). There might be some issue in terms of HD formating/compability etc, so some reading would be required.

I've lost track of the thread :-( to some extent

really just posting about the HD shutdown/ spin down part of the question

If I did this would I be able to have RAID 1 and have one of the drives turned off the majority of the time? Cause that would be great

not a raid solution, but here an alternative

a NAS unit like the Linksys NSLU2. I recalled does spin down the HD

connected on the USB after 5 min (you need to double check). There might be some issue in terms of HD formating/compability etc, so some reading would be required.

I've lost track of the thread :-( to some extent

really just posting about the HD shutdown/ spin down part of the question

A NAS is a little more than I'd like to spend. I'm just going to use a hard drive rack, rsync the files, and turn the drive off after that's done.