XServer config and GeForce 7300GT

kjc5664

I just purchased a new Biostar GeForce 7300GT video card with 256MB on board.

I run XFdrake, selecting the appropriate vendor->nvidia->7 series driver.

Select my appropriate montior. Then select the test option to test my configuration.

When I do, the monitor shows all static and it the displays the "Invalid Scan Frequency" message.

After several failed attempts. I give up on the Nvidia driver and select the Xorg Vesa driver.

It works. But, Is VERY slow.

Does anyone know what the appropriate NVidia driver is for this card ??

Thanks in advance.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

You'll want to install the NVIDIA driver that you download from this site here. Pick the one that fits your architecture. I've got a 7300GS and had no problems installing the driver.

You'll need the kernel-source installed on your machine. Easiest way is to #urpmi kernel-source while in SuperUser mode. Then you'll have to do the command #init 3 to get out of the X-server to install the driver.

Once in the text-mode, navigate to where you saved the driver you downloaded and do #sh NVIDIA*.run

That'll start the process. Good luck.

I appreciate the reply. However. I have the most recent NVIDIA driver installed. The problem happens when trying to select

the proper video card in XFdrak. None of the NViDIA selections will work with my 7300GT card.

The only selection that will work is the XOrg vesa selection.

I appreciate the reply. However. I have the most recent NVIDIA driver installed. The problem happens when trying to select

the proper video card in XFdrak. None of the NViDIA selections will work with my 7300GT card.

The only selection that will work is the XOrg vesa selection.

During installation, did you reply "yes" to the question of whether you wanted the installer to configure your x-server settings? If so, which card did it select? Whichever one should be the correct one.

If you did not get that question during install, try uninstalling, then run the installer again with "-e" at the end. That will allow you to confirm each step of the install process.

Selecting your card in XFDrake likely won't use the nvidia driver, I don't believe, you might need to either do as peckinpah suggests, or manually edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file - this can be a little more complicated, if you aren't comfortable with editing files directly or navigating on the command line. If you're OK with that route, I can help you out on what to do.

With the nvidia proprietary driver, selecting the driver is all you need to do. Do not worry about selecting the card. If you installed the proprietary driver, it should have edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for you. How exactly did you install the driver?