Repair boot sector - without Mandriva CD?

bingus

I've installed Mandriva 2007... and then XP.. which of course over wrote my boot sequence.

I know there was an option to repair it with the Mandriva DVD... but I have since "misplaced" my copy of it.

Is there a quick and easy way to fix this up, without having to download a whole CD/DVD again?

Edited by bingus

You need a CD to be able to recover the boot loader. You only need the first CD.

When you boot from this, you can choose rescue mode, and then an option on the menu is to fix the boot loader.

Then you'll be back to normal. If for some reason, the Windows option isn't there, you can do this within Mandriva after getting your system back and booting into Mandriva again.

Normally of course, you should always install Windows before Linux to save from encountering this problem.

There is also a way to boot Linux using the windows "boot manager" but it's somewhat complicated. You can read about it here, or google for other tutorials. Unfortunately I think this may require having access to your Linux install. Do you have a linux livecd anywhere? Any Linux livecd should do.