mp3 in Mandriva?

jesthenewbie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please go back and read my post. When you are in the 'Sound System' please click the 'Test Sound' button. If that doesn't make a sound, you don't have your sound system set up properly. Does the 'test sound' button play a sound file?

http://jesse.sasktelwebsite.net/Soundsystemtest.jpg

No, that button plays no sound. Time for a new sound card?

Did your sound work in windows? If it did, your sound chip is ok.

If you still have no sound, then you will have to install and use alsaconf to configure your card. Sometimes Mandriva sets up your card without it, but not always.

So then we would need the output of:

urpmq -v alsaconf

to show us if you have set up your urpmi repos properly, and have alsaconf available to install. If it is listed, go ahead and install and run it as root using scarecrow's instruction in this thread. If it's not listed, then go back and follow Gowator's instructions in this thread to set up urpmi again.

When I boot into Windows I can play my .mp3 and other sound files with no problems.

[jesse@localhost ~]$ urpmq -v alsaconf

Search

no package named alsaconf

So now I need to follow Gowators instructions at the top of page 3 to install urpmi (with the subsequent suggestions by scarecrow about changing the links)? I had done that following those postings. Try it again?

You are probably going to have to try to set up urpmi again. Go to the following link and follow the instructions:

https://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

On step 2, it doesn't really matter what mirrors you pick. Try to go for ones near you geographically though.

That should do the same thing as Gowator's instructions - I'm guessing that's how he got them.

One more question: You don't have any other sound outputs on your computer? I ask because I have 2 soundcards myself, and quite often Mandriva and Windows will choose to use different ones.

http://jesse.sasktelwebsite.net/Soundsystemtest.jpg

No, that button plays no sound. Time for a new sound card?

I come here a little late, and haven't read all previous posts, so I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

Couldn't it be that your sound volume is set to 0? It often happens (it happens to me at each install), so maybe all you have to do is turn the volume up...

Yves.

I don't know of anyway to get .mp3 files without some kind of sharing program. I have a thread open on pcguide and they were trying to help me install Java so that I could instal Limewire.

Do you know a site were I can download .mp3 or something else?

If you are using kde and have the kdemultimedia package installed just opening any audio cd will show you a virtual filesystem with various formats, including mp3, of the tracks you can rip...

ps: why don't you try reinstalling but then with 2007.1 (spring), it is fixes a lot of bugs in 2007 (and 2006)

pps: you don't need to have the soundsystem enabled to play sounds, i don't know what the soundsystem is supposed to do really other than crash continously...

Edited by ffi

i don't know what the soundsystem is supposed to do really other than crash continously...

lol :thumbs:

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

I can relate to that, although it never happened as much with 2007.0, has yet to happen with 2007.1 (touch wood), kubuntu had it figured out, never happened once.

But the good news is, I think as of KDE 4, arts will be no more.

Edited by jagwah