mp3 in Mandriva?

jesthenewbie

Jess...

urpmi.removemedia -a
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main/release with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update main_updates ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main/updates with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib/release with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update contrib_updates ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib/updates with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/2006.0/free/release/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandriva/2006.0/non-free/release/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz

Jess open a text editor and paste the above....

Then open a root console and paste this line by line....

It will take a while and the mirrors are not necassarily the best for you... but it should get you over the hurdle....

Once its all done you should be able to install alsaconf and if you need the codecs through the GUI...

edits oops see below ....

Edited by Gowator

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't do what Gowator just suggested. You will bork everything irreparably.

The reason is that he accidentally gave you links for Mandriva 2007.0, while you are using 2006.0.

Changing "2007.0" to "2006.0" on that links will most likely work.

oops....

I'll go back and edit the post so he can still use it though :D

I have entered those commands, line by line. You said that it would take a wile. It took less than ten minutes. Is that how long it should be?

If all is what it is supposed to be, I can install alsaconf now? Is that the command "urpmi alsaconf alsa-utils alsa-plugins"?

yep :D

time wise... impossible to say, depends on your bandwidth and how close to the mirrors, how busy mirrors are etc. but its the right ballpark....

Better I tell you to expect a longish time than you get 5 mins into it and wonder if your doing it right ...

Edited by Gowator

Do I have to download the alsaconf packages?

No.

Factly, if this is that difficult for you to implement after all those instructions, then the best you could do is going back to windoze- at least temporarily.

Or you could make a very last try: Open MCC, go to software installer, and query for "alsaconf".

Do you see such a package? Is it installed, or it is not?

If you mean this, I couldn't find it.

http://jesse.sasktelwebsite.net/Soundsystem.jpg

No, that's the wrong place. Use 'Look at installable software and install software packages'.

I'm sorry, but it appears that you have been instructed to use the gui (by AussieJohn), and the cli by others. I would suggest you go back and follow AussieJohn's instructions first. then if you still have a problem, use the cli.

When you get to:

“Star button - System - Configuration - KDE - Sound but I see no mention of KDE Control Center. Anyway, I followed that path and went into "Sound System" were I was able to "Enable the Sound System"
try the 'test sound' buton.

Let us know if that works, after you check your alsaconf packages.

Edited by Greg2

Guest JIIJI

Well I find it strange that you lose suh a long time on such an easy problem.

Open Amarok , click on Actions then Play media , find the place where you have stored that mp3 for ex. home/music dir.

and open the file. You should hear it within a few sec. unless the file is corrupt.

You can do this with Kaffeine as well. I find it much easier than Windows.

Edited by JIIJI

When I try that with Amorak I get the "some media cannot be loaded:

http://jesse.sasktelwebsite.net/Amorak.jpg

What else can I try? I know that the speakers are connected properly because sound works in Windows, the sound was muted bu default but is reenabled... Could the problem be with my soundcard? I have read that there is a hardware compatibility list for linux. Nine is a ICH2 810 Chipset AC'97 Audio Controler. Would that be on the list?

Guest JIIJI
When I try that with Amorak I get the "some media cannot be loaded:

http://jesse.sasktelwebsite.net/Amorak.jpg

What else can I try? I know that the speakers are connected properly because sound works in Windows, the sound was muted bu default but is reenabled... Could the problem be with my soundcard? I have read that there is a hardware compatibility list for linux. Nine is a ICH2 810 Chipset AC'97 Audio Controler. Would that be on the list?

Jesse if you get that message I guess the problem is with the mp3 file. Download some other files from the net that you are sure to work and try again. It is not a Hardware problem.

Edited by JIIJI